To sell or not sell

ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
edited December 29, 2007 in Cameras
I'm debating whether to sell my 18-200 lens and get something better. I love this lens, but it's pretty useless in low lighting. It's zoom "sweet spot" is around 100mm, so what good is it at 200? Not much, and the image get distorted. I want something for group shots, that can cover about 10-30 people. Also, it could be my camera (Nikon d80), higher ISO and 18-200 lens combo not impressive, to say the least.
So, any suggestions, experiences, recommendations? Would love to hear. Or may be i'm just paranoid? :huh
Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• JBOJBO Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 28, 2007
    If you want something better, I would look at the 17-55 2.8. It is pricey but it might be what you are looking for.

I plan on getting this lense soon. The only thing that is stopping me is the fact that it does not have VR. I am not sure if Nikon is going to update this lense soon.

Hope this helps
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Thanks JB, i was actually looking at that lens, it is indeed pricey, but if i can sell mine and add some money to it, it should be fine :D

Thanks again!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    Take a look over at Sigma, I have been shooting Sigma for a very long time and have had wonderful results and they are a lot less expensive than any camera mfg'ers lenses....also remember that when shooting huge groups the final pic is a result of the posing also....with more than 10 I really prefer some sort of steps of bleecher for the people to be tiered on....

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    I moved this to Cameras, since Technique is mostly for shooting techniques.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    I have also read very good reviews on the Tamron 17-50 F2.8.
    edited December 28, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I moved this to Cameras, since Technique is mostly for shooting techniques.

Sorry David, and thank you for moving this to approriate place. I wasn't sure where to stick this thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited December 28, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Take a look over at Sigma, I have been shooting Sigma for a very long time and have had wonderful results and they are a lot less expensive than any camera mfg'ers lenses....also remember that when shooting huge groups the final pic is a result of the posing also....with more than 10 I really prefer some sort of steps of bleecher for the people to be tiered on....

Good Luck

Hi Art, i was thinking about 3rd party lenses, so you suggest Sigma? Which particular lens you have in mind? I have Sigma Macro and i found it very good quality and very well made.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    edited December 28, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I have also read very good reviews on the Tamron 17-50 F2.8.

Thank you Jeff, i'll have to give it some reading. Appreicate your input. thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    I would suggest making print comparisons on high ISO - The way things look on the computer screen is not how they look in print. I bet your high ISO pics look much better in print than you realize.
    edited December 28, 2007
    I did some printing on my printer for comparision. They looked fine, but my concern is what customer actually see on their screen, might scare them Laughing.gif. At least it scares me, but i have an eye for these things, where average Joe might not even notice. But i'm paranoid like this. May be i'm too much of a perfectionist, i've been called that before. headscratch.gifscratch
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I did some printing on my printer for comparision. They looked fine, but my concern is what customer actually see on their screen, might scare them Laughing.gif. At least it scares me, but i have an eye for these things, where average Joe might not even notice. But i'm paranoid like this. May be i'm too much of a perfectionist, i've been called that before. headscratch.gifscratch

Another option would be to get the program DxO. It automatically corrects distortions for that lens and many more that are in it's library of lenses. The program accounts for the inherit flaws of the camera and lens. It also has noise reduction. I love the program. You have to process the picture through DXO before any editing is done as it relies on the EXIF data to do the correction for the specific lens. Basically, it cleans up the image on the basic settings, but allows more advanced editing like saturation, curves, contrast etc. It will also keep the original untouched as it copies and works on the copy. I have found it helps in archiving as you have the original "negative" file and then you have a separate edited copy that you can then go on the photoshop with if more editing is required.

14 day trial is here:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Editors/DxO-Optics-Pro.shtml
    edited December 29, 2007
    John, that is something i can use for sure. I will definately check it out and give it a try. One question, i shoot everything RAW, does it work on raw files?

Thanks for the link!!thumb.gif

Edit: Uh oh, i just looked, they only have it for Windows :cry
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    John, that is something i can use for sure. I will definately check it out and give it a try. One question, i shoot everything RAW, does it work on raw files?

Thanks for the link!!thumb.gif

Edit: Uh oh, i just looked, they only have it for Windows :cry

It works for Macs. Here's another link. The newest version has incorparated major support for Raw as it's new noise reduction is geared towards RAW.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/photo/free_demo
    edited December 29, 2007
    Thank you John! I've got your IM!! bowdown.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300