Options

guitar sculptures

leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
edited December 29, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
These are my very first try at using off camera lighting, so sorry about the quality. I was using a florescent to the left and a fill flash to the right. I know I need to practice, practice, practice...especially white balance. It's also the first time I've ever used a backdrop, but I think that worked out OK. Just need to work on my lighting.

These are wire sculptures I bought from a homeless street vendor in Munich.

This is not converted to B/W and is the only one that came out closest to true colors, silver with white background

236983389-L.jpg

This one I must have messed up the white balance, and though I shot raw I couldn't get it right.

236983449-L.jpg

And then I tried my Swarovski guitar, but shouldn't have. It was a challenge with the reflections, and W/B.

236983361-L.jpg

CC welcome, especially lighting tips
Growing with Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    leaforte wrote:
    These are my very first try at using off camera lighting, so sorry about the quality. I was using a florescent to the left and a fill flash to the right. I know I need to practice, practice, practice...especially white balance. It's also the first time I've ever used a backdrop, but I think that worked out OK. Just need to work on my lighting.

These are wire sculptures I bought from a homeless street vendor in Munich.

This is not converted to B/W and is the only one that came out closest to true colors, silver with white background

This one I must have messed up the white balance, and though I shot raw I couldn't get it right.

And then I tried my Swarovski guitar, but shouldn't have. It was a challenge with the reflections, and W/B.

CC welcome, especially lighting tips

Hi there Leaforte,
    I hope someone who uses lighting to photograph items like have,
    can help you with some answers for getting the correct white balance,
    and setting up the lights.

Was the guitar actually copper wire or plain silvery looking wire?

The person you brought those little guitars from is very talented in the craft, I bet he sold a few of those.

The last guitar throws off some nice light from the crystal.
    You have a smallish dust spot on the bottom left side of the image.

Once you get your lighting and white balance figured out,
    there will be no stopping ya thumb.gif

I like all three shots, besides the flaws you already know about.
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin