how to take portraits

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited December 29, 2007 in People
I am trying to teach myself to take good portraits. Here are three attempts of my wife, me, and my son. How can these be improved? (other than ironing my shirt!)

237015346-M.jpg
237015330-M.jpg
237015378-M.jpg

Comments

• 3n-out3n-out Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Josh,

I'm no professional - heh - far from it. But the shots don't look bad here on my side. The only thing I would try to accomplish is to get more light on the hair of your wife and son. Being a dark back ground their hair seems to blend into it. You and I don't have that problem since we both sport perfect gray do's. rolleyes1.gifI think by just putting a little light from the top or side may make these very good portraits.
    If you don't have creative enthusiasum all you have is a camera in your hands!

My Webpage - http://www.3n-out.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Put some more light either on the hair or on the background. This will have the effect of separating the hair from the background. Also, bump the exposure up a touch - they look a little dark to me.

Read. A couple of books I've found particularly helpful:
    • Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers (link)
    • Professional Posing Techniques for Wedding and Portrait Photographers (link)
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Thanks!

I agree with the light on the head. I am using a couple of umbrellas and 430xs on the sides. Would like a regular 75 watt bulb be enough for the top of the head, or do I need another flash?
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Thanks!

I agree with the light on the head. I am using a couple of umbrellas and 430xs on the sides. Would like a regular 75 watt bulb be enough for the top of the head, or do I need another flash?
    Eeeks, an incandescent bulb is going to ruin your colorcast -- unless it is totally washed away by your flash...
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    1pocket wrote:
    Eeeks, an incandescent bulb is going to ruin your colorcast -- unless it is totally washed away by your flash...

ok, so what kind of light do I need?
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    ok, so what kind of light do I need?
    Another of the same color - basically, another flash. Or, you can shoot with all kinds of different light and covert to B&W :D
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Thanks!

Or how about using one of your flashes for hair or background light, and then the other flash as the main with a reflector or even just a large white posterboard for fill?
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.