300mm lens question

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited January 17, 2008 in Technique
I have an opportunity to pick up a used AF Nikkor 300mm 1:2.8 lens at a reasonable price (less than 1/4 the price of a new VR model). My camera is a D80. I understand that this lens will not take advantage of all the capabilities of the AF/metering system in this camera, specifically the 3D metering. My intended use is to photograph small birds at my feeders so it will be mounted on a tripod in pretty much a fixed position. Do you think this lens will perform well for my intended purchase? What would I gain by buying a VR since I have no intention of shooting this hand held, and what will I be losing by not having 3D metering?

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Sounds to me like it will be a perfect lens for your purposes. Since the distance between you and your subject will stay constant manual focusing should be a cinch and the VR won't do much for you on a tripod anyway. I say go try it out, see how it suits you and post up the resultsdeal.gif
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Jack'll do wrote:
    I have an opportunity to pick up a used AF Nikkor 300mm 1:2.8 lens at a reasonable price (less than 1/4 the price of a new VR model). My camera is a D80. I understand that this lens will not take advantage of all the capabilities of the AF/metering system in this camera, specifically the 3D metering.

As far as I know, if it's a "D" model, it will take full advantage of the matrix meter. If it's a non-D, it will still work with the matrix meter, but certain aspects are lost.

I use a 60mm Micro ƒ2.8 non-D, and with the matrix meter on my D70s I can't tell that anything's amiss.

Sounds like it would suit you quite well.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    BikePilot wrote:
    Sounds to me like it will be a perfect lens for your purposes. Since the distance between you and your subject will stay constant manual focusing should be a cinch and the VR won't do much for you on a tripod anyway. I say go try it out, see how it suits you and post up the resultsdeal.gif

I would like to take advantage of spot metering AF as I don't trust these old eyes to sharply manual focus.

Jack
    edited December 29, 2007
    Biarien wrote:
    I use a 60mm Micro ƒ2.8 non-D, and with the matrix meter on my D70s I can't tell that anything's amiss.

Sounds like it would suit you quite well.

Thanks Biarien That's good to know.

Jack
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    I use the same lens on a D50 and get pretty good results using a monopod.

228162722-M.jpg
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 29, 2007
    I don't have much to add. But Harry and I had a bit of a shoot out with our
    500's a while back (me being the Canon guy) and boy, if that 300 is as good
    as the 500, it's gonna be a heck of a lens.

About the only thing I'd add is that a good TC and the 300 would be a great
    combination. Perhaps better than the 500 alone.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 31, 2007
    Thanks Ian and Jon
    I have the lens and am trying it out. As I said above I want this for songbirds at my feeders. The only problem is that the birds have suddenly abandoned my feeders! :cry
    I usually have a slew of finches, nuthatches, chickadees etc. but since I brought home the lens they are nowhere to be seen!!! This could only happen to me :(:

Hope they'll be back soon.

Jack
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    If you have a chance to get one of these at 1/4 the price of the VR model, grab it.
    I own the 300mmVR. It is by far my favorite lens. The IQ and bokeh are the best of all of my Nikon glass. I use mine for sports and birding. I almost never use the VR. If I had a chance to pick up a used one in great shape for under $2000, I would have been all over it.
    edited January 2, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    If you have a chance to get one of these at 1/4 the price of the VR model, grab it.
    I own the 300mmVR. It is by far my favorite lens. The IQ and bokeh are the best of all of my Nikon glass. I use mine for sports and birding. I almost never use the VR. If I had a chance to pick up a used one in great shape for under $2000, I would have been all over it.

That is good to know Mitchell. Actually I paid $1200 and figured the savings would allow me to invest in a good tripod. Besides I am lusting over the 70-200 VR :D

Jack
  • D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    I use a 300mm f4 with great results birding,even hand held in poor light.
    The nice thing about the 300 primes from nikon is they all share high quailty optics.
    I would buy this lens ,and then take a look at the 70-200mm f2.8 vr down the road.
    The range of this lens is great for conservation areas and feeders;more oft then not you'll find the 300mm a bit to close to frame some birds.
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Personally I was never a big fan of IS/VR. I asked for a non IS lens for Christmas but got the IS one anyway (not that I'm complaining). It's just the way I work I prefer not to be burdened with a mono pod or tripod. Granted, those 300s are heavy enough that unless you're shooting 320 or faster, you need one (I've shot with the Canon 300 hand held, and don't plan on doing it too often anymore).

But there are a few tricks I've learned from trial and error and my dad. One trick I learned is to shoot with continuous mode. Hitting the button the first time cause some camera shake, but picture 2 and 3 won't have that since it's already pressed. My dad taught me a trick where you grab your shoulder with your lens hand, and then rest the camera between your elbow, that way your arm doesn't move as much, plus the weight is closer to the body so it's easier to keep steady.

Then of course there's the idea that you could just speed up the shutter speed.

But that's just me :)
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    edited January 17, 2008
    Thanks Dave and ccpickre

I will definitely try that continuous mode shooting. In the meantime I have taken it back to the store for evaluation.

Jack
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Thanks Dave and ccpickre

I will definitely try that continuous mode shooting. In the meantime I have taken it back to the store for evaluation.
    I forgot to mention, the continuous mode trick might only work for a 1/3 or maybe 2/3 slowing of shutter speed. You won't magically be able to shoot 1/10 of a second when people are moving fast obviously :D

It's just a cheap simple trick I use to help out during performances, but it's definitely hit or miss. But 50% your photos being steady are better than none :D
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici