Options

Private Keywords

xxclixxxxxclixxx Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited April 11, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi All

I tried searching, and there is only so much time I can spend before it's time to start a thread. So if this is a dupe, sorry. Maybe my title will make it easier for future people to find it ;-)

Are keywords for private galleries ever going to be used?

This is a big deal for me, as I do event photography with children and I cannot have the photos viewed by the public. I'll take hundreds of photos and parents get to click through them all because of lack of keywords.

Summer 2006 I actually put the keywords in for them all and uploaded only to find out they didn't matter. Big time waster! It might be useful to disable editing keywords on the admin side, because you don't see them disapear unless you logout and then log in. Which on multiple occassions made be think the were now available.

Tim
Tim Linden
http://www.riphoto.com/
Please Vote - External Shopping Cart Links:
http://uservoice.com/a/mL8RD

Comments

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Hi Tim wave.gif

The keywords from private and passworded galleries are already used, but only for you, as the account owner when are you logged in. You can search by them, no problem thumb.gif

from this page: http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags
    Only you, as the account owner, will be able to search for any keywords from private or password-protected galleries.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    Well that helps explain why they are there, but unforunately me being able to use them doesn't help my customers. Not sure why it'd be made that way headscratch.gif
    Tim Linden
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    xxclixxx wrote:
    Well that helps explain why they are there, but unforunately me being able to use them doesn't help my customers. Not sure why it'd be made that way headscratch.gif
    Well, if we would make the keywords public, the purpose of private/passworded galleries would be defeated, somewhat.

If the keywords are public, it means they can be picked up by search engines, and your photos will be indexed and publically visible, something that you are trying to prevent.

What is it that you are trying to create/accomplish exactly?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Now that the KW's from private/passworded are appended to the list when
    you're logged in, why not any visitor entering a password, have those KW's
    from the now viewable galleries be also appended to the keyword list?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Ivar - I'm not talking about making private keywords public, I'm talking about making private galleries display the keywords to people who log into the private gallery. That way you can categorize photos within the gallery.

Does anyone know if this will ever be implimented?
    Tim Linden
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    Good question, I could make use of this as well.
  • Options
    zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2008
    I could use this as well.
    The exact use for me would be for parents to go into the password protected gallery to see their kids photos. The photos are mixed in there with a bunch of other kids. The Keyword search would make it much quicker for parents to see just their kids photos, rather than browse through all of them.
    I'll watch this thread for further info.
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • Options
    shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2008
    I just found this post and had posted a similar question on this thread here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=791419#post791419
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Well, if we would make the keywords public, the purpose of private/passworded galleries would be defeated, somewhat.

If the keywords are public, it means they can be picked up by search engines, and your photos will be indexed and publically visible, something that you are trying to prevent.

What is it that you are trying to create/accomplish exactly?

What people want (including myself) is to have a password protected gallery, but be able to use keywords in that gallery after a user has provided the password for that gallery. I only expect the keywords to be available within the context of the password protected gallery (with associated password cookie present), not at any other level (since that would be a security issue/confusion).

Then, I could upload a season's worth of keyworded soccer photos to a single password protected gallery and create links for viewing each player's photos (by keyword). After providing the gallery password, they would see the keyworded photos. The only way I can do this now is to upload each player's images to separate galleries which is a lot more work for me and results in quite a few duplicate uploads since a number of the photos have more than one keyword on them (gallery for each keyword) and it's very inflexible since I can't just add keywords and have things appear in new views. Basically all keyword goodness is lost for password protected galleries, but much of that goodness could be provided within the context of a password protected gallery (not at the whole site level as it works now).

True virtual galleries would be an even further solution where Smugmug would automatically generate a virtual gallery for each keyword that I indicated I wanted one for.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2008
    I know but....
    We all understand why the password protected gallery photos are not listed in the keywords list. But we all want our customers to be able to search these keywords to get to their photos faster.

If a keyword inside a password protected gallery is searched, why can't there be a message informing the viewer that this is a password protected image and prompt them for the password??

Please!bowdown.gif
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    zack75144 wrote:
    We all understand why the password protected gallery photos are not listed in the keywords list. But we all want our customers to be able to search these keywords to get to their photos faster.

If a keyword inside a password protected gallery is searched, why can't there be a message informing the viewer that this is a password protected image and prompt them for the password??

Please!bowdown.gif

Prompting would not work. In order to prompt, you'd have to tell them what gallery it is (so they'd know what password to use). Now you've exposed what keyword matches are in what password protected galleries to a user who may not know the password. Can't do that.

The only option in Smugmug's current scheme that could work is for a keyword search to include the keywords from all galleries that you have recently supplied a password for. Galleries that you have not recently supplied a password for would not be searched and matches would not be returned. If you want to search a particular gallery, then just open it (supplying the password in the process) and then search.

A more involved scheme (and probably too complicated to set up and too much work to implement) would involve true access control where you'd create username/pwd combinations and then give a given username/pwd combination access to a given set of galleries. Then, when that user "logged in" to your site, their search would apply to all the galleries you had given them access to.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    The only option in Smugmug's current scheme that could work is for a keyword search to include the keywords from all galleries that you have recently supplied a password for. Galleries that you have not recently supplied a password for would not be searched and matches would not be returned. If you want to search a particular gallery, then just open it (supplying the password in the process) and then search.

I love it! When can we do it?
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2008
    Andy can you guys consider this????
    Pweeeese!