Options

From Ice to Volcano's in Mexico - 12/28/07

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited January 14, 2008 in Journeys
So some know that I was headed down to Mexico and heres my first trip report! I arrived off the plane on the 27th and headed to my hostel. The hostel was a really nice place and it made my first few days in Mexico City a pleasure! I met some nice people at the hostel that night and 2 of them had talked about heading to climb a volcano they heard wasnt to difficult. So I told them i would go along. When the morning came it was only Roberto and I who had woken up in time so we headed out towards the volcano called Nevado de Toluca. We had heard getting to the volcano crater took a bit of effort and time and we were ready for the challenge. We took the Metro for 3 different changes until we were at the bus station. The ticket cost $3.40 for an hour and a half ride...not bad. We rode the bus to Toluca and then hoped on another bus and drove toward the dirt road which led to the crater. It started looking a little fishy as to where we were going so we asked a few people and they all seemed a bit confused as to where we were headed. Then someone yelled and pointed to a dirt road as we cruised neatly past it on the bus. We ran from the back and tryed to get the bus drive to stop and finally he was kind enough to let us off. We walked back and started to walk up the 15km dirt road figuring we could just walk the road and okay with it. After about 3 miles our thumbs waved in the air as we attempted to flag someone down. A very nice family threw us in the back of their truck and began tearing down the road as if we just happened to be walking in the middle of a Rally Race. They all looked back in out direction with big smiles on as we flew a corner and hit a big pot hole sending their newly aquired test dummies bouncing around the truck bed. We couldn't help it, our smiles were bigger. So off we continued.

We made it to the little down up the road and waved them goodbye. We had saved lots of time of with ride and were happy that we would have more time at the volcano. Our lungs filled with air thinner then normal and we huffed and puffed our way along the 2.2km to the crater. "Odd", I thought, "It dosen't normally hurt that much." I guessed we were about 11,000ft. Pretty high considering I was sitting 100ft above sea level only the day before. Cars were travelling the road another 6km to the lakes in the crater.
237253484-L.jpg

The trail was pleasent and easy, the peak on the top right is the second peak on the ridge. It was the peak we were headed too.
237255653-L.jpg

Acclimitization was not really the name of the game for this hike. We looked at the highest peak and knew we didn't have time for that. We still had to take the 2-3 hour journey back to town and it was already 1:30pm. I suggested we hike a peak on our right which looked a bit lower then the high point but closer. Roberto, who has only hiked one other peak in his life, agreed through his teeth.

The highest point on Nevado de Toluca sits above the lake in the crater.
237257488-L.jpg

We started hiking alongside cows which have a nice home up there in the clouds. We were hiking in a gully of rock and sand and it often became more work then either of us wanted to suffer. Still we continued on. I was beginning to feel the sickness of the altitude which I estimated at 12,400ft. Headaches were becoming more frequent and my stomach was also starting to churn. The shapes on rocks would sometimes take my mind off my breath.
237262330-L.jpg

We continued through the gully and the crater unfolded below us. The clouds were casting a beautiful light seemed to illuminate everything perfectly. THe air was crisp and cool and at times I could see my breath, in those moments i would think it felt good to be home. It was then I would remember I was in Mexico not Alaska.
237264924-L.jpg

We finally crested the ridge and got a great view of the road we had come up on. To our right was a gentle ridge following back down to our trail. To our right was a steep rock looking section with some snow on it and uncertian territory.....how I convinced Roberto to go the way of the latter I will never know.
237267497-L.jpg

The not so nice way, our way.
237269810-L.jpg

We climbed up the first rock section and there was a cross at the top of it. I felt it would be a nice picture.
237270949-L.jpg

We picked our way through the rock outcropping and at times I heard "I don't know about all this. I mean if you told me this is what it would have been like I would have told you to go screw yourself."...its hard to see but he meant it in a nice way heh. You can see the nice trail over ridge in the background I decided we should skip.
237272909-L.jpg

Sometimes it became more of a scramble. I was enjoying it immensly. I was also beginning to get dizzy and slammed with headaches. Luckily I was so immersed with what I was doing that I could often get past it. A few times I had to stop for fear of stumbling. It was an odd feeling to have my legs working great only to have my mind not working with them!
237275339-L.jpg

We finally summited the peak at 4:30 and what an incredible view it was. I was estatic and the clouds cast a vision on the lake that I couldn't possible recreate. To show everyone else all I have is this picture...which dosen't do it justice.
237239447-L.jpg

Roberto poses on the summit with Toluca in the background. At this point I estimated we were at around 13,300ft. Close to the highest mountain that I have hiked.
237240976-L.jpg

I was all smiles and stomach aches as we decided to hike down the backside of the mountain and cut off a few miles of road and trail. We knew we were already going to have to start walking a ways down the road before we got picked up...IF we got picked up.
237243076-L.jpg

The lake, the trail we hiked, and the road around. If you look closely you can see the few buildings which make up the town.
237245072-L.jpg

The hike back down took about an hour and Roberto gave the yell of freedom to be on road again. He's from Chicago...and he likes pavement more then trail...what could I say? The peak we hiked is called Pico de la Aguila and is behind him in the photo.
237249059-L.jpg

Our road to freedom.
237251356-L.jpg

We got a ride all the way back to Toluca and then took a bus back to Mexico City. It was a long ride where my head wanted to explode and my stomach made me want drink a whole bottle of Bismal. Still, it was an incredible day and I loved every minute. I found out later at the hotel that the peak was actually 15,223ft. 2000ft higher then I had thought and much higher then I had climbed before! What an excellent second day in Mexico!

Comments

• Options
    mandamanda Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Love the landscapes where the sun, shadows and clouds play together.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited December 30, 2007
    :jawdrop
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    bowdown.gif

Sunspots... mountains... clouds.. can't. make. words. work...

:oogle
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 31, 2007
    There are 12,000ft mtns near Mexico City? I'm shocked (and ignorant), stunning stuff, what else is new!

where to next?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 31, 2007
    OMG! bowdown.gif Love that photo from the top with the lake and mountains and shadows playing on the slopes!

What a wonderful hike! I'm envious. I have to write down the name of the peak and make sure I hike there when I go to Mexico.

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Great photos clap.gif

I am breathless just looking at them.
    Angela
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    annnna8888 wrote:
    OMG! bowdown.gif Love that photo from the top with the lake and mountains and shadows playing on the slopes!

What a wonderful hike! I'm envious. I have to write down the name of the peak and make sure I hike there when I go to Mexico.

Ana

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments!

DoctorIt there are actually much higher peaks. This one was 15,000+ feet an the highest is over 18,000ft. (Pico de Orizaba). I am hoping to go to El Potrero Chico and climb although somehow i pinched a nerve in my back. its been very painful!

I would highly recommend this mountain Ana, it was much easier then I thought it was going to be except for the altitude which kicked my butt. But the view was just amazing.
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    :jawdrop
    I think that says it all
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    Just as a note to anyone whos curious where I am at any given point I have hurt my back while climbing in potrero chico. It was nothing major just climbing along and all of a sudden moving is extremely difficult. Well im bedridden and I may have to return home of I cant get it any better. So hopefully I can keep going and bring more pictures but as it stands now the only pictures I´ll have a from inside a room.

Hope everyone else is having a great time!
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Just as a note to anyone whos curious where I am at any given point I have hurt my back while climbing in potrero chico. It was nothing major just climbing along and all of a sudden moving is extremely difficult. Well im bedridden and I may have to return home of I cant get it any better. So hopefully I can keep going and bring more pictures but as it stands now the only pictures I´ll have a from inside a room.

Hope everyone else is having a great time!

Get well soon Kelsey! You have much to teach us in Moab so we all need you in natural mountain-goat state. :D

It would also be pretty sucky to have to cut your trip short. I love living through your travels.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 7, 2008
    in lieu of good muscle relaxants, I'm sure there's an abundant supply of tequila!

give your system a good blast to really knock it out and relieve the tension. good luck mate, hope you don't have to cut it short this time!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 7, 2008
    I'd take the good doctor's advice. He is expert in these matters naughty.gif

Hope you're feeling better soon.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Oh no! Hope you feel better soon. Back problems really suck...
    Chris
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2008
    Well quick update. I took meds, 1 rest day, Shasta climbed, then we both proceeded to climb 40 pitches of rock in 4 days. Pictures and stories within the next few days!

Backs still pretty sore but usable.