Bought the Olympus

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited January 18, 2008 in Cameras
Wanted an underwater P & S. So on the advice of others, particularly Phyxius as I'd seen hers in action, I bought the Oly. Will provide a complete review of it once we get home from the trip, but it looks pretty nice - 7.1MP, 23 different 'shooting modes', making me wonder why I learned what f stop means :rolleyes :rolleyes

The sales girl (very knowledgable) reported some incompatability between it and the Epson storage devices, so I bought a 2 Gig card, to be sure.

Oh, and I bought a Crumpler 5 M dollar home - thought I'd limit myself to one body and 2 lenses for the trip.

For a moment I considered only taking the P&S - when I told hubby that he was dumbfounded. Probably the first thing I've said to him all year that got his attention!:D

ann

Comments

• JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    I know a couple of people who have the waterproof Olympus and LOVE it. I want the blue one. It's one my wishlist. :D Looking forward to your review.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    I really want one of these ann. Is it the 720 ? I would love to see some water shots with it.
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I really want one of these ann. Is it the 720 ? I would love to see some water shots with it.

i have one of these - they're known to be indestructible but so far my wife has broken two of them! They underwater images it takes are very good, a little soft if you ask me but probably due to user experience or lack of in my case!
    The one I have is the 770...
    143080541-L.jpg
    troy
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Great buy! I am excited to see some images!
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Hi guys and gals

It is the 790 - latest model. Was on sale so it actually was a better buy in CDN $, unbelievably!

We chose the orange one - figured it would stand out best.

Troy - great turtle shot - hope to get some as good.
    And my kids have: 1. lost the Sony D60 that I bought (waterproof too - great little 2MP cam), and destroyed a Sony W60 - not WP but a pretty sweet P&S.
    Will see what they can do to this one.

Will give a full review in about 9 days!

I got a chuckle from the salesgirl when I asked if it shot RAW!:D

Now to come to grips with only taking one body and two lenses - 24 - 105 and 70 - 200. Want to find room for the 50 1.4 or maybe the flashheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

ann
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    I just got the 770 today. I got it instead of the 790 because the 790 is only rated for 10 feet and the 770 is rated for 30. Can't wait to take it to the keys in a couple of weeks. :D
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
    edited January 17, 2008
    Well, I really like this little camera. Unfortunately, I do not have any snorkelling photos to share, because I didn't snorkel - long, complicated story - but I can share a few others from in and near water.
    This is a 'redo' of one of my favorite shots from three years ago:
    244577388-M.jpg

and one from when my daughter and I tubed at Xel Ha lagoon:
    244575365-M.jpg

So this camera doesn't shoot RAW, therefore these are mildly edited .jpgs - some very minor curves.

The kids used it lots, and still do. They need to learn to prefocus yet, and so there are plenty of OOF shots. And I have to learn to deal with shutter lag rolleyes1.gif but overall I think it is a great little camera

ann
    edited January 18, 2008