Couple Firsts from the G9

Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
edited December 31, 2007 in Landscapes
Decided to go lightweight on my first backcountry tour of the season out here in Utah as the weather seemed to be pretty socked in, and I was not in the mood nor the shape to take the ol' SLR. Wouldn't you know it, the sun peeked through and cast some pretty nice light. Although it's no SLR, the Powershot G9 is no slouch (as has already been demonstrated by many on this board). I'm still trying to get comfortable shooting a point and shoot, but must say I was quite impressed with the quality. Enjoy.

236870108-X2.jpg

236870121-X3.jpg

236870083-X2.jpg

236870144-X2.jpg

And...the almost money shot--learned my "continuous mode" lesson the hard way on this one.
236870134-X2.jpg
It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Excellent set! I love the first three - great action and the sepia is very tranquil with the land formations and the light beam.

I'm very enamoured by this G9 thing. :D
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Neat shots. I'm also hearing the siren song of the G9.

But not equivalent 28mm. . . . Might be a deal-breaker for me.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Very nice! clap.gif

How is the focus time and shutter lag on the G9? My current point and shoot (and older, but high-end at the time sony) is painfully slow compared to my wife's rebel XT, making action shots quite difficult.
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    BikePilot wrote:
    Very nice! clap.gif

How is the focus time and shutter lag on the G9? My current point and shoot (and older, but high-end at the time sony) is painfully slow compared to my wife's rebel XT, making action shots quite difficult.

Depending on your settings, it can be pretty decent. Manual focus, manual settings and continous shooting mode will yield some decent results for action. As for the wide angle, I bought the WA converter--but it is somewhat disappointing that the camera is not wider to begin with.

• dave porterdave porter Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Grizzle6 wrote:
    Depending on your settings, it can be pretty decent. Manual focus, manual settings and continous shooting mode will yield some decent results for action. As for the wide angle, I bought the WA converter--but it is somewhat disappointing that the camera is not wider to begin with.

Very nice stuff!! The G9 can save the day when you don't want to lug the big camera around....good job! Are you shooting in RAW and how do like the files?

Dave
  • BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Very cool thanks!
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 30, 2007
    Grizzle6 wrote:

These are very nice action shots. I have tried shooting my G9 for action and found it more challenging due to the delay in focus acquisition and the shutter lag as a result.

Did you shoot all these in manual focus?

The wide angle convertor looks nice optically, but makes the camera substantially larger to schlep though, doesn't it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    These are very nice action shots. I have tried shooting my G9 for action and found it more challenging due to the delay in focus acquisition and the shutter lag as a result.

Did you shoot all these in manual focus?

The wide angle convertor looks nice optically, but makes the camera substantially larger to schlep though, doesn't it?

The action shots were't necessarily manual focus--more like pre-focused. I pre-focused on the spot I knew my skier would be at and then held down the shutter button (halfway) until I took the shot. I also did some subject tracking where I tried to pick up the skier a ways before the shot. The camera did ok with that. Also of note is the fact that I chose my focus zone manually beforehand. I knew where I would put the subject in the frame, and moved my focus zone to that part of the frame--that was super helpful.
    I was shooting in the RAW + JPEG mode, although these are all JPEGs. Im trying to find another application that can convert the RAW files, as the one that comes with the camera is absurd, and Aperture is not yet compatible with the G9 RAW files.

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Whilst its clearly a good camera its more important that you have a good eye & some flare as you have shown you have in these photos. Excellent thumb.gif
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Excellent thumb.gif

I love the first three...
  • pthorpepthorpe Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    I can taste the mountain air, feel the sun on my face and hear the swoosh (is swoosh a proper G9 term?) Very well done, beautiful shots . . . wonderful subject.
    Thoughts become things ... pick the good ones!

www.digitallifephotography.com