Help with buying a D200 from the states

chris_cchris_c Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited December 30, 2007 in Cameras
Hello all, I have been thinking of buying a D200 for a few months now and have been looking into getting one from the states as the difference in the price is unbelievable from that being asked in Ireland.
Lucky for me I have a aunt coming over for a holiday next month and she said she would get the camera sent to her address and bring it over with her back to Ireland for me, my problem is I have never heard of any of these companies on this list I am looking to get the camera off so can anyone on here tell me have they ever used any of these companies and are they trustworthy
thanks

http://www.shopcartusa.com/P_Nikon_D200_10.2_Megapixel_Digital_SLR_Body_25235/

Comments

• chris_cchris_c Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 30, 2007
    After having a look at this www.resellerratings.com bowdown.gif site i dont think i will be goin near any of those companies
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Be careful
    I've bought a lot from the US because I happened to be there on business for an extended period just before Christmas. When everything just works (and touch wood, everything has just worked) the savings over anywhere in Europe are amazing at the moment.

However, bear in mind that guarantees are all too often US only and that means the time, expense and general hassle of getting equipment back to the US for repair. Nikon in Europe may even refuse to do a paid for, out of warranty repair in the event you have technical issues.

It would be a lot easier if you had friends in the US who could act as a local address for you.
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    chris_c wrote:
    Hello all, I have been thinking of buying a D200 for a few months now and have been looking into getting one from the states as the difference in the price is unbelievable from that being asked in Ireland.
    Lucky for me I have a aunt coming over for a holiday next month and she said she would get the camera sent to her address and bring it over with her back to Ireland for me, my problem is I have never heard of any of these companies on this list I am looking to get the camera off so can anyone on here tell me have they ever used any of these companies and are they trustworthy
    thanks

http://www.shopcartusa.com/P_Nikon_D200_10.2_Megapixel_Digital_SLR_Body_25235/

B&H
    are a very reputable firm. You could order from them and get the camera delivered to your aunt.

AC Photo are a German firm who deliver to Ireland. They are cheaper than Irish camera shops.
    hth,

Shay.
  • bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    Stay away from those
    A lot of those stores are grey market US and make money by taking pieces out of the box. Sell you the camera but make you pay for the battery and charger for example.

I have found that B&H, Adorama, and Ritz have always been reputable and have great service.
  • gracenrichgracenrich Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    and also
    One Call,Calumet,Beach camera aka Buydig.thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    consider Canoga Camera. It's a local store and they have great prices and are very reputable.
    http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=23188

Also consider checking at pricegrabber.com to get an idea of the US prices and check the seller on resellerratings.com.

Other stores I have bought from and recommend are bhphotovide.com, beachcamera.com, amazon.com, buydig.com, digitalfotoclub.com.

Good luck