Options

Speeding up the process

BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
edited March 14, 2005 in Finishing School
Ok, so the race season is coming up quick and I want to be able to speed up the process in which my photos are ready for clients to pick them up, either on CD or as a print. Shooting 1000+ photos in a day slows things down obviously if I am going through each one of them. I have noticed that there are a couple of basic things I do to every photo. Is there a way I can create an action that will allow for a batch within Photoshop? If so, how?

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    But of course. Are you shooting raw or jpg?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    For the races, jpg. I simply get too much action in front of me and constantly for me to miss a shot due to the memory buffer being full. Maybe if I was shooting on a 1D MkII with some Extreme 3's I'd shoot the races RAW.
    But of course. Are you shooting raw or jpg?
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    For the races, jpg. I simply get too much action in front of me and constantly for me to miss a shot due to the memory buffer being full. Maybe if I was shooting on a 1D MkII with some Extreme 3's I'd shoot the races RAW.
    create an action with the tweaks that you have 'standardized' and run the action on a batch of images, that's it :D You can even take it further and create a droplet from the action so you only have to drag images 'into' the droplet.
    Any questions? :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    BBones wrote:
    Ok, so the race season is coming up quick and I want to be able to speed up the process in which my photos are ready for clients to pick them up, either on CD or as a print. Shooting 1000+ photos in a day slows things down obviously if I am going through each one of them. I have noticed that there are a couple of basic things I do to every photo. Is there a way I can create an action that will allow for a batch within Photoshop? If so, how?

Yes. Create an action that does the standard things you want to have done to a photo. Next create a second action that calls that first action, then does a "Save As", and selects a target format that you want. Such as JPG, level 10, optimized. Be sure to actually choose the save options, otherwise they default to the last save operation you did. Don't worry about closing the window in that action.

Now, go to the File Browser of Photoshop CS. Select all the images you wish to perform this action on. Goto the Automate menu, choose Batch, and choose to open files from File Browser, play the action that includes the Save As step, choose a destination folder and a file naming convention. Importantly, choose to have the Save As step over-ridden.

This should do it. I'm working on memory here, as I don't actually have Photoshop in front of me.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    Sweet, thanks. Now I jsut need to figure out a way to automate the levels process. That is the final trick. USM is pretty standard and so is Auto Contrast. If I figure that out all I need to do is just rotate if need be and crop if need be.

mercphoto wrote:
    Yes. Create an action that does the standard things you want to have done to a photo. Next create a second action that calls that first action, then does a "Save As", and selects a target format that you want. Such as JPG, level 10, optimized. Be sure to actually choose the save options, otherwise they default to the last save operation you did. Don't worry about closing the window in that action.

Now, go to the File Browser of Photoshop CS. Select all the images you wish to perform this action on. Goto the Automate menu, choose Batch, and choose to open files from File Browser, play the action that includes the Save As step, choose a destination folder and a file naming convention. Importantly, choose to have the Save As step over-ridden.

This should do it. I'm working on memory here, as I don't actually have Photoshop in front of me.