How good is the old Canon AE-1 Program?

JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited January 2, 2008 in Cameras
So my Mom gave me her old Canon AE-1 with a Canon FD 50mm 1.8 lens it looks like. So how good is this camera and is it worth keeping, or should I sale it and buy a better newer film body? :scratch

It went like this, gave my sister my old Sony DSC F828 to use when I got a D80. Then my sister wanted a D40x for Xmas, so I got it for her and she gave me back the F828. My Mom wanted the F828, so I let her have it and she gave me the Canon AE-1 Program. :lol

Crazy I know... :D
Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    I had one and loved it. I would probably recommend you have it looked at. Things like the shutter curtains break down over time. As does any lubricant. Baring that, it's a nice body. The sweet thing is that you can probably find good FD lenses for low prices (supply and demand works that way!).
  • craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    I have two and love them. When ever I get the hankering to shoot film, they are always there waiting ever so patiently. I have the 50 1.8 for mine too and It's a perfect lens. One was my dads, and the other was my fiance's dads. Both took very good care. My dads though broke on me, the rewind lever popped off. Any suggestions on where to get this fixed in the DC metro area would be greatly appreciated. They could probably use some tlc as well.....
    Tracy :rofl
    Canon Stuff
    www.craftgirlcreations.smugmug.com
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    craftgirl wrote:
    .... My dads though broke on me, the rewind lever popped off. Any suggestions on where to get this fixed in the DC metro area would be greatly appreciated. They could probably use some tlc as well.....

Year ago, Strauss Photo was the go-to for local DC repair work, but I think they're long gone now. Penn Camera stores outsource to a reputable repair vendor. I've used them for a number of repair jobs. Older cameras can be hit or miss unfortunately. I had my Canon FTB checked out so that my son could use it for a photo class (needed a manual film camera). Just before the end of the semester, the shutter curtain broke. Teacher allowed him to use my AE-1 for the last couple of assignments. One of these days I may decide to spend the $ to fix the FTB's shutter.......
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    aj986s wrote:
    Year ago, Strauss Photo was the go-to for local DC repair work, but I think they're long gone now. Penn Camera stores outsource to a reputable repair vendor. I've used them for a number of repair jobs. Older cameras can be hit or miss unfortunately. I had my Canon FTB checked out so that my son could use it for a photo class (needed a manual film camera). Just before the end of the semester, the shutter curtain broke. Teacher allowed him to use my AE-1 for the last couple of assignments. One of these days I may decide to spend the $ to fix the FTB's shutter.......

Thank you very much Tony, I will look into that!
    Tracy :rofl
    Canon Stuff
    www.craftgirlcreations.smugmug.com
  • JohnCJohnC Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Thanks for the advice all! I'm going to keep this camera a while and learn film with it. :D
    Nikon D300 l Nikon SB-600 l Nikon MC-30 Remote l Nikon AF-S 24-85mm 1:3.5-4.5G IF-ED l Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-D l Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM l Quantaray Pro U-100 backpack by Naneu Pro l Quantaray QSX 9500 Tripod by Sunpak
    Canon AE-1 Program l FD 28mm 1:2.8 l FD 50mm 1:1.8 l Sunpak Auto 821 Dedicated