Too Cold Cafe

MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
edited January 7, 2008 in Landscapes
One of my first shots with my D300.
This is a cafe/bakery in the Distillery District in Toronto.
A little cold that day for eating outside.
237957195-L.jpg

Have a warm, safe, happy new year!

Comments

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Love the duotone nature of the treatment on the photo - it works really well for the subject matter to my eye. Nice light in this photo as well........well exposed.

The photo seems a bit slanted to me.......might just be the angle in which it was shot - but it has a slanted feel to it.

Thanks for posting this...........
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    bauerman wrote:
    Love the duotone nature of the treatment on the photo - it works really well for the subject matter to my eye. Nice light in this photo as well........well exposed.

The photo seems a bit slanted to me.......might just be the angle in which it was shot - but it has a slanted feel to it.

Thanks for posting this...........

I put it on an angle because it is actually the ground that is slanted.
    I did some work on the slant, trying to take it out. Maybe I'll work on it again.
    Thanks for looking!
    edited January 2, 2008
    Moni wrote:
    I put it on an angle because it is actually the ground that is slanted.
    I did some work on the slant, trying to take it out. Maybe I'll work on it again.
    Thanks for looking!

I don't want to imply that in an any way ruins the image either - just thought that I would mention it. If the ground is slanted - that makes sense.

What is your process to get that duotone color if you don't mind me asking?
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
    edited January 2, 2008
    I used the black and white converter in CS3.

I scrubbed the colours back and forth until I was happy and then used a yellowish tint at about 20-25% opacity.
    I love using that converter - if you don't like the way two colours line up, click on one and move the mouse left for dark and right for light!
    edited January 2, 2008
    Moni wrote:
    I used the black and white converter in CS3.

I scrubbed the colours back and forth until I was happy and then used a yellowish tint at about 20-25% opacity.
    I love using that converter - if you don't like the way two colours line up, click on one and move the mouse left for dark and right for light!

I knew that it was going to be software that I did not have! ne_nau.gif:D

I will have to play around with PS Elements and see if I can recreate that effect. Thanks for the information and for posting the really nice photo.
  • D.RodgersD.Rodgers Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Welll done.
    I really like the toning on this image,and the highlights on the sufaces adds to that.
    I appreciate the angle of the shot,and understand the distortion it causes,but feel it should be a stronger angle or none at all.
    Also would love to see more of the brick roadway in the shot.
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    I think it is a bit of an optical illusion. I would pull the right side down a little bit, so the doors and such are "eyeballed" straight...
    Nice photograph!
    edited January 3, 2008
    Ok, I played with the crop tool...finally figured out how to use the perspective part!
    239183551-L.jpg

Is this better?

Thanks for the comments!
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Moni wrote:
    Ok, I played with the crop tool...finally figured out how to use the perspective part!
    239183551-L.jpg

Is this better?

Thanks for the comments!

yes, it looks more straight. You got it!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Moni,

I like your edits! thumb.gif It's difficult to deal with a situation such as street or wall with windows when you're not standing perfectly square to them. I find the parallel lines really throw me off in PP.

Are you just overlaying the tint as a regular layer? I find the sepia done this way tends to look a lilttle flat. Have you ever tried luminosity toning?
    edited January 7, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Moni,

I like your edits! thumb.gif It's difficult to deal with a situation such as street or wall with windows when you're not standing perfectly square to them. I find the parallel lines really throw me off in PP.

Are you just overlaying the tint as a regular layer? I find the sepia done this way tends to look a lilttle flat. Have you ever tried luminosity toning?

Thanks for the tip!
    Actually, I used the "tint" option in the b+w filter in CS3.

Here it is luminosity toned:
    240894057-L.jpg

I also eased up on the sepia a whole lot.