Antelope Canyon

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited December 31, 2007 in Landscapes
I am continuing to mine my Antelope Canyon files, and thought I would share a few found yesterday.

Sam

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    edited December 31, 2007
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Nice shots Sam- the canyons are quite difficult due to the extremes in light- completely dark to blown out.

What EXIF were you shooting at? These seem a little bright to me.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited December 31, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Nice shots Sam- the canyons are quite difficult due to the extremes in light- completely dark to blown out.

What EXIF were you shooting at? These seem a little bright to me.

I took another look at these, and on my monitor, I'm happy with the brightness? I will wait and see what others have to say on this issue.

These were all shot at iso 200 from 17mm to 40 mm, and from 1 sec to 2.5 seconds.

Sam
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    The only blown-out spot I see is at the end of the canyon in the second one. Otherwise they look good, and I have a fairly bright monitor. Nice shots. :):
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    I took another look at these, and on my monitor, I'm happy with the brightness? I will wait and see what others have to say on this issue.

These were all shot at iso 200 from 17mm to 40 mm, and from 1 sec to 2.5 seconds.

Sam

I am on a laptop so could be me deal.gif

Do you remember the F stop?

Look forward to seeing more from your trip. nod.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Very nice Sam!

I've so enjoyed Aaron's photos of that area, it's moved up my list of places to go.

Can't wait to see more.
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Great shots. I was in the Upper Antelope Canyon in late October. It's an absolutely incredible place. You've done a great job of capturing it.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
    edited December 31, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I am on a laptop so could be me deal.gif

Do you remember the F stop?

Look forward to seeing more from your trip. nod.gif

Remember??? I don't remember what I had for breakfast. That's why digital is so good for me. I just look up the info. :D

These were all shot at f16.

Sam
    edited December 31, 2007
    To add one more photo, and some additional info. This is the sight that greets you walking back to the parking are after climbing out of the Lower Canyon.

Sam
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    To add one more photo, and some additional info. This is the sight that greets you walking back to the parking are after climbing out of the Lower Canyon.

Sam

That is a bummer... the view when you come out!
    I love the canyon shots. They seem to be exposed right for me...
    There is one picture with a bright spot, but it does not really bother me, it is not the first thing I look at.
    The first photograph grabs my attention as it looks like a face.

Thanks for sharing those...
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    lickout.gif

I, on the other hand, am more tempted to visit this area with a view like that factory calling from the horizon!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 31, 2007
    The color images might be just a bit brighter than I would have edited them, but they are certainly not too bright. Darker MIGHT provide a little more drama, but that comes down to an editor's opinion I suspect, Sam. These lool very nice.

The B&W looks very nice.

Do you find it interesting that you rarely see B&W from all the Antelope images we have seen? I have always wondered why this monochromatic subject is presented in color rather than B&W.ne_nau.gif

Happy New Year!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 31, 2007
    Pathfinder,

Thanks for looking, and adding your comments. (As well as everyone else!)

I think that bright colors capture the eye, and attention faster than most B&W prints.

The canyons with the bright reds, and yellows, along with those wonderful light shafts seem to jump off the viewing media when in color.

While I like B&W, and am trying to do more with B&W, I think it's more subtle and, not all images will work in B&W. Also I believe it's harder to produce a good B&W image.

I have spoken at length with many photographers, with great B&W prints, at art and wine festivals, and the consensus seems to be that color will out sell B&W by a large margin.

Of course that's not going to stop me from producing B&W when I can.

Sam