Options

OI ...fish

2»

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    why are you so hard up for the 135? A prime in that range doesn't strike me as too useful. but what do I know... ne_nau.gif

I guess I'd get a good wide-standard zoom before I got a 135mm prime. Something i'd be more apt to use everyday. Don't think I'd use that prime everyday.
    To me zooms are fuzzy in comparrison to the primes (54875145 hours searching on the net)...maybe im mad but im not going into this for stuff that i think is 2nd rate. Anyone can bash me to death that the canon 70-200 is sharp but when you look at the stuff from the 'real good guys' using primes...the primes leave them standing.

But...we are all different. Imagine if we all had the same gear & took the same shots ? The forum would end up like a bunch of swingers in a hot tub...always the same outcome.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    The forum would end up like a bunch of swingers in a hot tub...always the same outcome.

lol3.giflol3.gif

get the 135mm a swweet lens.
    love your attitude, get the best now, you'll end up there anyhow deal.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    To me zooms are fuzzy in comparrison to the primes (54875145 hours searching on the net)...maybe im mad but im not going into this for stuff that i think is 2nd rate. Anyone can bash me to death that the canon 70-200 is sharp but when you look at the stuff from the 'real good guys' using primes...the primes leave them standing.

But...we are all different. Imagine if we all had the same gear & took the same shots ? The forum would end up like a bunch of swingers in a hot tub...always the same outcome.
    lol3.gif point well taken.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I threw deposit on a 20D sam...I really dont care what lens's i use as long as they are sharp. Im not going to pay for blurry photos. I like the samples i find with the 17-40.

There will be a full size sensor out in a year or 3 for the commoners i recon.
    Your gona love the 20D. I might just have one myself before the Yosemite event. Need to pay off the 70-200 L 2.8 first. :D If you like primes, don't ignore the lowly 50 mm 1.8. Cheap to buy, great quality. It's the damn lens that got me addicted to the L stuff. :):

Sam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 15, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

If you're going to stick to primes 'gus - and there are certainly those of use who admire that kind of character - a standard kit would include a 24mm, a 50mm, a 100mm and a 200mm with a 1.4 tx perhaps. The 50mmf1.4 is sterling. But the 24-70f2.8 L covers much of this range very nicely and is just ever so handy to carry around. And the 70-200 IS L lenses are VERY good, sharp with buttery smooth bokeh. Don't turn up your nose at these lenses - they compare very favorably to the 135f2 in resolution. The 17-40 L is probably one of the better L lenses and is priced more reasonable than most of them.

I am a big fan of the 85mm lenses - goes back to shooting 35mm I imagine, and the 85mm f1.8 is inexpensive also. Which reminds me the 35mm f1.4 L is a very nice addition to a 20D - very nice indeed.
    The 135 f2 L is kind of a strange bird - too long or not long enough - I haven't owned a 135mm lens in 30 years - that was when the 135 was popular.

And lastly - a surfing lens - 300mm+ I rec at least 400mm if that is possible.

And of course to really get sharp images with primes will require the consistent use of a good tripod.....

"gus - You're going to need a sherpa at this rate eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 15, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Depends on where your subjects are. I've used 300mm when they're right
    below me and 500mm when farther out. The 1.4TC is a nice and handy thing
    to have as well.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:

And of course to really get sharp images with primes will require the consistent use of a good tripod.....

"gus - You're going to need a sherpa at this rate eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I have always liked the sharpness of the 400 L 5.6
    http://www.pbase.com/kodachrome/image/31446431

http://www.pbase.com/kodachrome/image/39035202

Whatever i buy i know i can resell it at decent $ & change it for something elses as long as they are good quality to start with.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Whatever i buy i know i can resell it at decent $ & change it for something elses as long as they are good quality to start with.
    yup, ain't that the truth... kinda like real estate, big investment to get in, but once you're in, you're in :D
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I have always liked the sharpness of the 400 L 5.6
    http://www.pbase.com/kodachrome/image/31446431

http://www.pbase.com/kodachrome/image/39035202

You mean, Canon glass holds its value and FM isn't overpriced? naughty.gif

:poke

lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

lol3.gif
    Yeah, then the best thing to do is sell the lenses from Canada! Holy moly, there was a Canon 100 macro on there yesterday for $620 Canadian... um, that's still $500 USD!!! And they'll get it too because "lenses are more expensive in Canada". Wow.
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

lol3.gif
    :nono Canon holds its value & SOME of the stuff for sale on the net is overpriced. I will probably buy from there when im due & what i want is avail....

but i aint gonna pay $900 + shipping 2nd/3rd/4th hand for something thats $920 + shipping brand spankers.

Fish/andy... can you find me a B/slap smiley.1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah, then the best thing to do is sell the lenses from Canada! Holy moly, there was a Canon 100 macro on there yesterday for $620 Canadian... um, that's still $500 USD!!! And they'll get it too because "lenses are more expensive in Canada". Wow.
    Try $1071 USD for a 17-40 here or $1050 for a 10-22 or $1430 USD for 135 f/2 or $2000 USD for 70-200 IS :cry

The importers had better never question why Ebay has taken off here like it has.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Fish/andy... can you find me a B/slap smiley.1drink.gif

9744393-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    9744393-Ti.gif
    smiley boy comes through with a winner, once again. thumb.gif