Options

Cool smugmug trick

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited March 24, 2004 in SmugMug Support
For some landscapes and group shots, the thumbnails in the "traditional" style galleries are just too small. Think of Cartier-Bresson or Ansel Adams in this format.

But I figured out that if these are the first pictures on a page, then they will be displayhed large in the main view when the page is first displayed. So the trick is either to have single page galleries or have the landscapes every 15 shots.

Of course using "journal" style also fixes this problem.

It would be nice if we could set the default style of the gallery and still allow users to change it.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 24, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    For some landscapes and group shots, the thumbnails in the "traditional" style galleries are just too small. Think of Cartier-Bresson or Ansel Adams in this format.

But I figured out that if these are the first pictures on a page, then they will be displayhed large in the main view when the page is first displayed. So the trick is either to have single page galleries or have the landscapes every 15 shots.

Of course using "journal" style also fixes this problem.

It would be nice if we could set the default style of the gallery and still allow users to change it.
    Some people use the "zoom thumbnail" feature with decent results. Here's an example:

http://spider-t.smugmug.com/gallery/11747
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2004
    rutt wrote:

I can do it. I have a power user account. It can be found under customize gallery>style. I do not know where access to this feature starts in the plans.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    Baldy wrote:
    Some people use the "zoom thumbnail" feature with decent results. Here's an example:

http://spider-t.smugmug.com/gallery/11747
    I couldn't make zoom thumbnail work at all. It hangs before it completes initializing. It just eats up CPU cycles and doesn't display anything.

I am running linux, mozilla 1.5, j2re-1.4.2.04.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I can do it. I have a power user account. It can be found under customize gallery>style. I do not know where access to this feature starts in the plans.
    I can set the gallery style just fine, but that isn't exactly the feature I want. If the style is set to something other than "viewer controlled", the viewer has no option to change it. I'd like the viewer to start off looking at the gallery in the style I want, but still have the option to change.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited March 24, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I couldn't make zoom thumbnail work at all. It hangs before it completes initializing. It just eats up CPU cycles and doesn't display anything.

I am running linux, mozilla 1.5, j2re-1.4.2.04.
    Hmmmm... Interesting. We don't run into many people with your combination (although I like it). It sure sounds like a Java issue.