A grandmother

adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited January 2, 2008 in People
I'd love some cc on this shot. I did a couple outdoor practice shots with this lovely lady. This is my favorite one - tell me what you think. The only pp I did was more contrast and some white balance (Oh - I put a slight vignette on it as well). Thanks for any and all advice - suggestions.
238279372-L.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    Hi Angela, i like this photo, good composition, may be little bit of magenta going on. I'm not particulary liking her facial expression here, seems like sh'e not too happy Laughing.gif. She has this "are we done yet?" look.

What made this your favorite? Just curious. :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Hi Angela, i like this photo, good composition, may be little bit of magenta going on. I'm not particulary liking her facial expression here, seems like sh'e not too happy Laughing.gif. She has this "are we done yet?" look.

What made this your favorite? Just curious. :D

Wow! You're dead on! All the other ones had an even worse - "I don't want to be here" look, Laughing.gif. She doesn't like having her photo taken. I don't have a good monitor - just working off my laptop... so I can't see the magenta - but I'll tone it down! Thank you! And thank you for responding! BTW - this was not a planned photo really - just a practice shot.

Thank you!
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    She looks as if the light may have possibly been bothering her eyes as well as being uncomfortable having her photo taken. I agree it is a tiny bit magenta, although it looks like that could be her natural skin tone. I have lots of family members with pinkish skin tones. You say it's a practice shot, will you be doing more of her? I hope you will post your results. Good luck getting her to relax!!! :D
    edited January 2, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    She looks as if the light may have possibly been bothering her eyes as well as being uncomfortable having her photo taken. I agree it is a tiny bit magenta, although it looks like that could be her natural skin tone. I have lots of family members with pinkish skin tones. You say it's a practice shot, will you be doing more of her? I hope you will post your results. Good luck getting her to relax!!! :D

Thank you! I think that's a natural squint of the eyes, but it was bright out - so you could be right. I am hoping to do more shots of her. Thank you for the comment!!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Here's what I see:

The Good:
    • The tree on the right is a nice framing element
    • Sun provides a very nice highlights in her hair
    • You did a good job of compensating for what looks to be backlighting from the sun (face is not in heavy shadow). It looks like you may have used some fill-flash? If so, you did it well.
    • Pose is not square on to the camera (see this a lot in practice and snap shots)
    The Not So Good:
    • Bright spots along left edge of frame and above her head are distracting. Watch for these in your background. I see this problem in a lot of my shots so it's one of the first things I look for when reviewing photos.
    • She may be turned too far away from the camera?
    • Looking at her left shoulder - seems to be pulled unnaturally back or hunched up just a bit. Either way, she doesn't look relaxed/comfortable.
    • Color in her face - the triangle of her cheek seems to be a completely different color from that of the rest of her face, almost like you had two different color lights in play here.
    As a practice shot, it's doing it's job well - showing you areas to improve upon for the time when you do the real thing.
    edited January 2, 2008
    Here's what I see:

The Good:
    • The tree on the right is a nice framing element
    • Sun provides a very nice highlights in her hair
    • You did a good job of compensating for what looks to be backlighting from the sun (face is not in heavy shadow). It looks like you may have used some fill-flash? If so, you did it well.
    • Pose is not square on to the camera (see this a lot in practice and snap shots)
    The Not So Good:
    • Bright spots along left edge of frame and above her head are distracting. Watch for these in your background. I see this problem in a lot of my shots so it's one of the first things I look for when reviewing photos.
    • She may be turned too far away from the camera?
    • Looking at her left shoulder - seems to be pulled unnaturally back or hunched up just a bit. Either way, she doesn't look relaxed/comfortable.
    • Color in her face - the triangle of her cheek seems to be a completely different color from that of the rest of her face, almost like you had two different color lights in play here.
    As a practice shot, it's doing it's job well - showing you areas to improve upon for the time when you do the real thing.

Thank you Scott!! The good / bad detail... excellent! Thank you so much for taking the time to really critique it! It's very much appreciated. Your bad list... all things I've never really thought of before - so this HELPS me a ton! Again - thanks to all for the comments!