Options

10D noisier than 300D?

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited March 14, 2005 in Cameras
[font=Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I can't find a good answer anywhere...

So I made the minor upgrade from my starter Digital Rebel to a great used example of a 10D. I love the little bit of extra control in metering and focus drive, better build, feel, etc. No regrets. However, there has been one thing I've noticed: I feel like the images are a little bit noisier coming out of the 10D. Specifically, when working with RAW files. I shot several birds and animals yesterday in a snowy woods setting, so several of my exposures were thrown off. No big deal, that's why I shoot RAW... but, as I was pushing many of them up (in post) anywhere from +0.5 to +1 stop, I saw a lot more noise come into the image. On my 300D RAW files, I seem to recall being able to push +1 stop in RAW conversion with no problem. I would see similar noise if I went much over +1 stop with the 300D, but +1 was totally acceptable. BTW, all were shot at ISO 100, so that can't be it.

To my knowledge the sensors on both cameras are the same. Does anyone have anymore insight into this? Or am I just imagining things? I can't do a back to back anymore, so maybe it was just yesterday's tricky exposure.

here's an example:

17452056-L.jpg

look at the wings... again, tough without a back to back, so i guess you need to take my word.
:dunno
[/font]
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    that wasn't my experience...
    perhaps do some more tests, different scenes, etc?
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    Same sensor, same processor. Should be the same noise level. ne_nau.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    that wasn't my experience...
    perhaps do some more tests, different scenes, etc?
    I figured as much. This was definitely tricky lighting, so I'm not too worried, but I have noticed it a couple other times as well.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    I didn't notice that with the 20D, what I noticed was a definite elevation in the "real" noise level.

That was of great concern to me as I used to shoot birds, before they went the way of the dinosaurs, but the birds did not seem bothered by the "noise" level that was booming into my hearing aid.

When I convert from RAW, I always elevate the thingy 10 points, to 35, in case I do something to make it noisy, like crop, I also raise the luminescence to 5 or 6. I think I read to do that in a book. I had the camera for about a month before I ran into a real noise situation, I bought noise ninja: just figured I was going to have to some time. But a month without a real noise problem was certainly not worse than the 300D.

ginger

Weather report here: temps falling, sky is grey, heading for rain.......

Am going to try to find a naturalist to talk to, if I can hear, agggggggghhh.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.