k100d battery life

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited January 2, 2008 in Cameras
Well, you've probably read the reviews and heard the news, the Pentax K100d has "poor battery life" and gets dinged in reviews for using two CRV3's or four AA batteries instead of a custom, rechargeable battery pack like most other DSLRs.

I am happy to report that I have just past the *560* shot mark on my first pair of CRV3s :barb-- most of those shots in RAW, many using the onboard flash. My battery indicator (not that I have much faith in them) still shows full charge. Just don't ask how many of those 560 were keepers. :D

If you are considering a Pentax, but are concerned about battery life, well, my advice is, don't be!

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    That looks like a sweet camera! Glad you are enjoying it!
  • BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Very cool, that camera is an amazing value. I really like the k10d too, but am torn as I wanna be able to share glass with my wife too (and she uses a canon..). Have fun with it! clap.gif
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    I have both a K10D which uses proprietary batteries and a *DS which uses the same 4XAA or two lithium as your K100D. Though the K10D battery lasts a long time, I get a bit more piece of mind with the more generic approach favoring AAs. It is easier to obtain AA batteries if I forget a spare or two.
    Regarding long life, I have found that the newer hybrid batteries like the Eneloops provide me with many hundreds of shots on the *DS. I've pretty much disposed the older metal hydrate batteries in favor of hybrids as their lifecycle ends.

M
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    I have both a K10D which uses proprietary batteries and a *DS which uses the same 4XAA or two lithium as your K100D. Though the K10D battery lasts a long time, I get a bit more piece of mind with the more generic approach favoring AAs. It is easier to obtain AA batteries if I forget a spare or two.
    Regarding long life, I have found that the newer hybrid batteries like the Eneloops provide me with many hundreds of shots on the *DS. I've pretty much disposed the older metal hydrate batteries in favor of hybrids as their lifecycle ends.

M

Miguel,

After the current CRV3's die AND the backups I bought back around shot #250 die (I thought I was going to have to start using them any day now) I'll look into eneloops.

OTOH, around here CRV3s are available at just about any drugstore, grocery store, or what-have-you.
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Ohh more pentax owners .. how nice clap.gifclap

can´t you go for superpowerfull AA´s like GP 2700 mah ? would last long as hell?

im from sweden as you might see....We have different names on stuff and mesures..So correct med plz if im wrong here :)
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Arvan wrote:

can´t you go for superpowerfull AA´s like GP 2700 mah ? would last long as hell?

im from sweden as you might see....We have different names on stuff and mesures..So correct med plz if im wrong here :)

Sorry, I'm not sure. Given that a pair of CRV3's is something like $12 if you shop around, it's not really a big deal for me. I'm just really impressed how many shots I was able to take, after every reviewer in the country (it seems like) bellyached about poor battery performance. :D
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Arvan wrote:
    [deleted]

I used highly regarded nickel-metal hydride batteries such as Maha and Energizer up to 2500 mAh for years. The problem with these is that they lose 1% of their charge each day after charging. If I have a set sitting in one or more bags (in our home we juggle AA batteries among 3 cameras) for a month or two then their usefulness is somewhat limited. These batteries also didn't last all that long--maybe 18 months or so before they just didn't hold a charge worth anything.

The advantage Eneloops bring is that their charge is stabilized for maybe up to a year which brings more value to my real world. Plus, if you buy a full kit at Costco, they cost less than most old style rechargeables.

I save the CRV3s for special occasions when I need more performance oomph, such as frequent zoom lens and flash uses during a sporting event. I just don't like spending money on something that I have to toss somewhat frequently.

M