Options

Spyder3 Pro vs. Eye-One vs. Huey Pro

DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
edited January 16, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I want to get a colorometer to correct my screen. But, reading on here has a wide range of opinions; and, not really a comparison to be found... SO..

I've heard good and bad things about the Huey; basically it seems like if it works, it works ok.

BUT, what about the Spyder3 vs. the Eye-one?

Amazon has the Spyder3 Pro for $162, and the eye-one at .... Well, I'm not sure, becuase there seems to be a half-dozen different one eyes.. Some saying they're pantone one-eye, others are x-rite one-eyes, and another saying it's a gretag... And, of course the LT, one-eye display 2, etc... I'm lost! :rolleyes

Can someone help me! I'm looking to calibrate a Dell Inspiron 9300 w/ the Samsung trulife glossy LCD screen (1920x1200) 17".

Thanks for any/all help!

David

Comments

• Options
    LP16LP16 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Good question! i was just thinking the same. I need to get one myself and i've been debating between them. I've been leaning towards the Spyder myself, but by no means listen to me for informed info on these.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    It's hard to give a real good competitive analysis as few people will buy more than one of these products.

I have an Eye One and have been very pleased with it. Easy to use, and I get prints that match the screen. The Eye One was recommended to me as the best product by someone at Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto (I trust the guy). I also talked to the Monaco Optix guy a couple years back when I was considering and he said "Well, we think our product is great but if you're going to buy something else, get the Eye One and not the Spyder; it's way better."

So I picked the GMB and I've been happy. But I haven't personally used the Spyder so I can't really say anything from first-hand experience.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:

Amazon has the Spyder3 Pro for $162, and the eye-one at .... Well, I'm not sure, becuase there seems to be a half-dozen different one eyes.. Some saying they're pantone one-eye, others are x-rite one-eyes, and another saying it's a gretag... And, of course the LT, one-eye display 2, etc... I'm lost! rolleyes1.gif

David

FYI X-Rite bought out the company that owns GretagMacbeth, so all these names are right...not sure why they continue to use both names?

BTW, X-Rite also owns Pantone....
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    FYI X-Rite bought out the company that owns GretagMacbeth, so all these names are right...not sure why they continue to use both names?

BTW, X-Rite also owns Pantone....

anybody know if a lap-top can be calibrated? Until I can upgrade just about everything, I need to at least have a calibrated monitor, but have read someplace that lap-tops are problematic. Please advise. Thanks
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    sara505 wrote:
    anybody know if a lap-top can be calibrated? Until I can upgrade just about everything, I need to at least have a calibrated monitor, but have read someplace that lap-tops are problematic. Please advise. Thanks
    You definitely can calibrate a laptop monitor, most certainly with the Eye One which is what I use (although not on a laptop, but I have actually seen it done on one). No problemo.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2008
    I ended up buying the i1 Display 2. It's been getting good reviews. The Spyder3 seems to be getting poor reviews. People are saying the Spyder2 is better...

I think I made the right choice with the i1.. It should be here Wed. or Thurs. -- I'll post my thoughts on it after I've used it.

David
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 14, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    I ended up buying the i1 Display 2. It's been getting good reviews. The Spyder3 seems to be getting poor reviews. People are saying the Spyder2 is better...

I think I made the right choice with the i1.. It should be here Wed. or Thurs. -- I'll post my thoughts on it after I've used it.

David
    I just bought the eye1 and am pleased with it. I got better results using the auto setting than manual, and my laptop is a little red, but overall the results are really good. Very simple too.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2008
    I just calibrated my monitor with the i1 Display 2... And, I have to say that I am impressed. I had no idea my monitor was so out of whack! I was convinced that it looked great, but, it was really too blue.

Took about 5 minutes. I ended up getting better results with the Advanced mode; but, both looked great!

Best money spent in a long time!

David
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    David, where did you get yours? I'd like to get one too.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2008
    yukio wrote:
    David, where did you get yours? I'd like to get one too.

Cuong
    I got it at Amazon. This is what I bought: X-Rite i1 Display 2 (EODIS2)

I'm very happy with it. I did my monitor and my wife's laptop too. Cool device! :)

David