Uploading to Smugmug with Vista

foxwizfoxwiz Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 2, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I just installed Vista a few days ago and I went to upload some pictures using the "drag and drop" method. When I chose "Add Photos", Vista prompted me to load Java. I chose install.

Once Java was installed, I went to "add photos" and as soon as I clicked, the browser closed.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    foxwiz wrote:
    I just installed Vista a few days ago and I went to upload some pictures using the "drag and drop" method. When I chose "Add Photos", Vista prompted me to load Java. I chose install.

Once Java was installed, I went to "add photos" and as soon as I clicked, the browser closed.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Did you try restarting after installing Java? That is my solution to every problem. ne_nau.gif I have successfully uploaded to Smugmug w/ Vista, but I can't remember which uploader I use and I can't try now because my site is down.
  • foxwizfoxwiz Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 1, 2008
    Tried a few things
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Did you try restarting after installing Java? That is my solution to every problem. ne_nau.gif I have successfully uploaded to Smugmug w/ Vista, but I can't remember which uploader I use and I can't try now because my site is down.

Yes, I restarted the system, uninstalled Java, reinstalled Java, restarted again. Same results.
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    foxwiz wrote:
    Yes, I restarted the system, uninstalled Java, reinstalled Java, restarted again. Same results.

I will let you know what I do once my site is back up and I can check. Do you use Firefox or Explorer? I normally use Explorer 7.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems uploading your photos!

We have found that updating your current installation of java will typically resolve this issue.

Follow these steps to make sure your java is up to date for a PC:

1) Go to http://www.java.com

2) Click on "Do I have Java?" and wait for the test to run.

3) Follow the steps to get the latest version of Java if you need it.

That will do it for you. Let us know if you continue to have problems.
    edited January 1, 2008
    Tried a few things
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems uploading your photos!

We have found that updating your current installation of java will typically resolve this issue.

Follow these steps to make sure your java is up to date for a PC:

1) Go to http://www.java.com

2) Click on "Do I have Java?" and wait for the test to run.

3) Follow the steps to get the latest version of Java if you need it.

That will do it for you. Let us know if you continue to have problems.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did go to the Java site and installed the latest Java. When I bring up IE7, and then go to "Tools", "Sun Java Console" my IE7 closes.

If I go to smugmug and try to add photos, my IE7 closes. I don't think Java likes Vista!

In my Internet Options under the advanced tag, I enabled Java.

Not sure what else to do.

HELP!
  • jeff318jeff318 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    foxwiz wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I did go to the Java site and installed the latest Java. When I bring up IE7, and then go to "Tools", "Sun Java Console" my IE7 closes.

If I go to smugmug and try to add photos, my IE7 closes. I don't think Java likes Vista!

In my Internet Options under the advanced tag, I enabled Java.

Not sure what else to do.

HELP!
    have you tried using Firefox?
    www.shoeboxsavior.com
    shoeboxsavior.smugmug.com
    digitizing your family's memories
    edited January 1, 2008
    Firefox
    I haven't tried Firefox, I really would like to stay with IE7 if I can. I did one thing which got me a bit further, in Control panel, there is a Java Icon, I clicked on it and viewed the options. Then I went back to IE7 and now when choosing the Sun Java Console, a display comes up.

When trying to add photos to Smugmug, the Java logo appears on the right where the smugmug logo is suppose to appear once I am able to upload pictures, but the logo appears for about 1-2 seconds, then a red X appears. I can't upload photos. I am a bit closer but no Cigar.

jeff318 wrote:
    have you tried using Firefox?
    edited January 1, 2008
    I tried FireFox
    I decided to load Firefox then when I chose to upload photos, the smugmug logo appeared so I could do the drag and drop. I then decided to try IE7 again and it magically did the same thing.

I think my issue is now fixed. I can use either brower now.!

Thanks for the tip.
  • havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    foxwiz wrote:
    I decided to load Firefox then when I chose to upload photos, the smugmug logo appeared so I could do the drag and drop. I then decided to try IE7 again and it magically did the same thing.

I think my issue is now fixed. I can use either brower now.!

Thanks for the tip.

Leave it to firefox to fix iE7...lol

Stay with firefox for awhile you will not go back to IE7, especially if you find one or two extensions that you like.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images