GothPuppyGothPuppy Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited January 12, 2008 in Technique
Can anyone please help me get the hang of taking a silhouette? :scratch

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    GothPuppy wrote:
    Can anyone please help me get the hang of taking a silhouette? headscratch.gif

It would be easier if you could have shared a shot and/or explained what you are doing now to get a silhouette shot.

I just expose for the sky.
    235803391-XL.jpg
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 1, 2008
    Me too, Harry:D

56497293-L.jpg

Welcome to dgrin, GothPuppy.

Can you explain more clearly exactly what you are having difficulty with? Focusing, exposure, how to accomplish? Are you shooting in Av, Manual, or one of the Auto modes? Shooting the auto modes will defeat shooting a silhouette, unless you dial in the -2 or -3 stops of Exposure Compensation.

Shooting silhouettes can truly be as easy as Harry described. Anytime the foreground subject is underexposed 2 or 3 fstops, you will have a silhouette if it is backlit.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    I didn't think to upload a picture... I will remember to do that for next time. I deleted them..as they were all bad :cry
    Not sure were my aperture should be? I seem to get some color on my subject, not completely blacked out.

By the way...Awesome photo Harry!
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Sorry, I am very new to using a forum...
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    A Nikon D80 is an excellent camera, very capable of first rate silhouettes.

What is your level of understanding of photographic exposure settings, aperture, shutter speed, etc?

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    No worries about being new Goth.

What we need to know is what kind of results you want to walk away w/ and what kind of subject matter you want to shoot.

i.e. I want a silhouette of a dog against a sunset. I want a silhouette of a party kid against club lights. I want a silhouette of a skater doing a trick against a streetlight.

Even if you think the image totally bites. It still helps us paint a better idea of what you want to achieve. So consider that your last excuse of not posting shots mwink.gif

So w/ that in mind. What kind of silhouette shots do you want to take?

-Jon
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    GothPuppy wrote:
    Sorry, I am very new to using a forum...

Then, somebody made you a pretty cool avatar.headscratch.gif:D:D

• Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    As mentioned above- set yourself up to take the photo of the sky- when your subject is front of the sky they become a silhouette. It is important to have sky all the way around the subject matter or as best as possible.

211867337-L-1.jpg
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Ahhh Pathfinder, my Daughter helped me with my Avatar!

Ok - I'm very new to photography, I got my D80 in July. I have very little knowledge of using the aperture,shutter,exposure... So I spend alot of time looking up on the internet how to set my camera. Don't always get good info, Laughing.gif

As for what I was trying to shoot - Bird silhouette.

By the way - I'm Dawn :D
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Hi Dawn, nice to meet you. MY name is Jim, but most folks here just call me PF.

Perched or inflight?

Using a D80, is kind of like flying a jet fighter. There are a lot of controls you need to understand in order to make it fly loops and upside down, and land safely.

Most of us here will strongly rec you shoot in Av or Manual Mode only. To shoot silhouettes, that will almost be a requirement. You will also need to understand using the light meter in the camera, and how to set Exposure Compensation, either positive, or negative.

If this is way too basic and you know this already, just tell me what you want to learn.

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    The key to taking a silhouette is shoot such that the primary light source is directly behind your subject. Doing this means pointing the camera into the light. The exposure adjustment for including the light source in the frame will result in your subject going dark and, if the lighting contrast is high enough, black.

In this shot I am looking at the shadowed side of the rocks and the exposure is set for peak color in the setting sun.

228174406-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    I was trying both infight and perched..

That helps alot Jim... I have been using the manual mode. I'm glad I got a digital instead of film, Laughing.gif

I'll be working on it!

Dawn
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Thanks LiquidAir... Beautiful Shot!

I'll just keep trying till I get the shot!
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2008
    Happy New Year, Dawn.

Post your silhouettes when you get themthumb.gif

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    GothPuppy wrote:
    As for what I was trying to shoot - Bird silhouette.

By the way - I'm Dawn :D

Hi Dawn!

OK, here's the gig:

If you are shooting at mid day, the blue sky meters very close to the same as an bird lit by direct sun so metering for the sky will not cause a sunlit bird to be underexposed.

Here a quick introduction to photographic brightness:

Modern DSLR cameras have a dynamic range of about 8 stops which means that to create a silhouette with no detail, your subject must be at least 8 stops darker than pure white.

Reflective surfaces (say bird feathers) have a dynamic range of only about 5 stops. That means a black bird is only 5 stops darker that a white bird. This is why a properly exposed photo of a black bird still shows detail in the feathers. For the bird to be any darker than that, it must be in a shadow. In midday sun, simple shadows run about 3 stops darker than the sunlight which means a black bird in the shadows will silhoutte against a blue sky. However, a white bird in the shadows is rendered not much darker than mid grey.

To get a more satisfying silhouette of a bird, you need to shoot under different lighting conditions. On an overcast day, the clouds are relatively much brighter than the blue sky which will result in much more effective silhouettes. Here is a shot of a flock of white pelicans which have rendered quite dark against a cloudy sky:

129228399-L.jpg

The light from this sky was very flat; almost equally bright everywhere. To get a yet stronger silhouette, you need a sky with one area brighter than the rest. Sunsets or sunrises are the most common times to see this, but the right cloud cover can create it at any time. Exposing for and shooting toward the brightest part of the sky will give you an almost guaranteed perfect silhouette of your foreground subject.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    Ahhh LiquidAir... That is so helpful! It makes alot of sence to me. You broke that down so well. Thank You!
    Ok I will be going out a shooting silhouettes tomorrow :D:D
    I will upload them as soon as I can!

Thanks Again!
    Dawn
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Today, late evenning in Lisbon, Portugal - EXIF
    Manual mode 1/500 f/5,6

242606569-M.jpg

All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook