LPS 19 - Can you read whats on my mind?

JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited January 4, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello,
Was thinking of something like this for my second LPS .. What do you think?
josh.jpg
Jethro :D
My Blog
Jethro Kingston Photography
Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE

Comments

• kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Hey Jet - I really like the conversion, nice tones. To answer your question, on initial view, because of your title, you think of someone trying to read the mind - then it also looks a bit like there is a headache going on.

This one would depend on title I feel. Looking again, if you could reshoot, I would definitely aim for at least one strong catch light to balance out the overall grey tone, to add some punch.

This comes across as a headache, or even a toothache to me. Just my two bobs, hope not too negative :S and hopefully, more will contribute too!
  • JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Thanks for your two bob kp. I see what you mean about the title, I just didnt think about that aspect of it.. he was just about to break into a grin :D. At the moment I cant think of a title that ties in both the headache concept and the theme. headscratch.gif
    As for a reshoot, I'll see what I can do... I too would also like to see a bit less flat lighting. Thanks for the input.
    My Blog
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    No pain in 10 mins? who says? too long rolleyes1.gifI was kicked up the butt for my long titles in positive ways once, so useless on that front :D

I don't think it needs much, just a touch more pop, with a catchlight or something. I am not too ps savvy, so someone else might have a clue in that regard!

Yep, looking again, if you could just get a little more in that left eye (my looking version) and fiddle with the contrast just a touch, top b&w *sniff* t
    This is a tough B&W crowd!!!!! gotta be something snazzy and stocky, so needs a bit more pop

but I really love the image!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Jet wrote:
    As for a reshoot, I'll see what I can do... I too would also like to see a bit less flat lighting. Thanks for the input.

It's lacking some contrast, a little sharpness and pop. You're shooting at f/11.0 which should make the picture sharp, but some how it doesn't seem that way. I think a little bit of better lighting, or even a little PP to punch up the contrast and sharpness could make this good. Levels is always your friend as well =c)

Another thing you can try is to experiment with a 2 or 3 tone conversions.
    http://www.photoshopsupport.com/tools/actions-tutorials/duotone-tritone-quadtone-actions-tutorial.html
    http://forrestcroce.com/Articles/DigitalBlackAndWhite.html
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
    edited January 2, 2008
    Hey I tried to take everything in.. hehe I'm learning a lot :D
    I fiddled with tritones a bit to come up with more of a sepia type image..
    Joshtritone.jpg
    and then there is this version, which I probably like the best,
    Josh2-1.jpg
    and then my brother suggested a different approach and came up with this... the border is a bit big but you get the general idea
    JOshwhitecopy.jpg
    Tell me what you think, and which one you like best!
    My Blog
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    The third new one is my favorite - except for the white stripe on the left.
    A reminder that frames or borders are against the rules.
    edited January 3, 2008
    ah whoops.. hmm I still dont know which one to chooseheadscratch.gif
    My Blog
    edited January 4, 2008
    After some thought I think I will choose the second modified one, with the title 'the intellectual'. Any other opinions? Which pic you like, modifications or title suggestions? thanks
    My Blog
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Jet wrote:
    After some thought I think I will choose the second modified one, with the title 'the intellectual'. Any other opinions? Which pic you like, modifications or title suggestions? thanks

I think that'll work.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Either the first or the second, I have a slight preference for the first - I like the toning.

For a title I'm not sure, but I find the image a bit ambiguous and another poster seemed to as well. On one look I think it is an Excedrin ad (pain) and the next look theres some amusement to the expression (like he just looked up from his book to see a cute girl walking by). Perhaps your title can play on that ambiguity (much like your first cut at the title) but I'm not clever enough to think up what it should be!

Ken