Few more from Saturday....

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited January 5, 2008 in People
Here are a few more photos from that set I showed here. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=80086

I am really pleased with the lens!! ...and with the performance of my 85mm at F1.8!!

238840900-L.jpg

238841470-XL.jpg

238849268-XL.jpg

Comments

• themittythemitty Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Beautifully done Jeff. Really like the first and third ones - nice strong compostion on both, nice smile from your model, and the conversion to black and white works well on the first. Nice, vivid (but not overdone) colors on the third.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Like them all but LOVE #1! And are we seeing a different head turn in that one? It seems we usually see her from the other side. (Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I seem to remember you mentioning that she prefers to show one side of her face over the other.)

I'm already chomping at the bit for spring so I can get outside with my gear. Lucky you!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Gorgeous shots!! Did you do any serious ones? I love the non-smiling pics of teens. She has a gorgeous smile, but I think sometimes when they're not smiling the eyes stand out more.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    themitty wrote:
    Beautifully done Jeff. Really like the first and third ones - nice strong compostion on both, nice smile from your model, and the conversion to black and white works well on the first. Nice, vivid (but not overdone) colors on the third.

Thanks for the comments!! I agree the second one is the least favorable composition.....but it definately shows off the sharp focus of the lens.

Thanks for having a look!!
    edited January 3, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Like them all but LOVE #1! And are we seeing a different head turn in that one? It seems we usually see her from the other side. (Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I seem to remember you mentioning that she prefers to show one side of her face over the other.)

I'm already chomping at the bit for spring so I can get outside with my gear. Lucky you!

#1? You should have seen me trying to get that....(you know my back is acting older than the rest of me!)....I had my monopod attached, and of course it doesnt shrink that low, so I am leaning, the pod is leaning, and I couldn't quite square everything up. Finally I get close enough to mother earth to get the BG straight.......then go home and crop it so that it will be tilted...added tilt!!! Crazy.....Oh and yes she alledgedly has a "good side" and actually reminded me that this wasn't it as I set up for the shot.

AS for spring....it isn't here quite yet. We had a VERY pleasant day on monday when these were taken, but it is very cold today. (20s ) I was surprised things were still so green. WE do have a much milder winter than say....Oregon, but we very very rarely get an Autumn. Usually it is summer(green) right up to the first freeze(brown), so we don't get all those beautiful colors in between.

Thanks for commenting Elaine.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 3, 2008
    some great shots, jeff-

and love the conversion in the first one-
    edited January 3, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Gorgeous shots!! Did you do any serious ones? I love the non-smiling pics of teens. She has a gorgeous smile, but I think sometimes when they're not smiling the eyes stand out more.

JUst for you Jan....

1. Trying very hard to be serious...in very uncooperative sunlight.......she wasn't quite small enought to get all of her in shade!!!
    238841365-XL.jpg

2. Nearly completely serious....
    239185287-XL.jpg

3. Pretty doggone serious....or at least as serious as she gets....
    239185360-XL.jpg
    edited January 3, 2008
    gefillmore wrote:
    some great shots, jeff-

and love the conversion in the first one-

Thank you George
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Oh my gosh, I LOOOOOVE the 2nd & third serious one!! GORGEOUS!!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    So very beautiful
    and excellent photographs......bet it's hard to take a bad shot of her anyway. Nice nice work Jeff. I really like your processing too.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    2 last ones are just gorgeous!! Beautiful work Jeff!!bowdown.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    These are all fantastic!!!! The first BW is phenomenal, I love how you handled the dynamic range here. Very nice!

The second and third posted are definite improvements over the similar images in the other thread. The light is much more even in the 3rd and it is just gorgeous.

I love love love the serious shots. The third being my absolute favorite. I love the cross processing, maybe a tad heavy, but I still like it!!! Fantastic shots, you are producing a good variety of looks here.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    The first set is nice but the serious ones are super!! bowdown.gif very keen on the first serious one.

It fits her very well and your processing really helped bring it all together!

two thumbs up! thumb.gifthumb
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Jeff - these are some absolutely fabulous images of a very lovely young lady!! clap.gif It's hard to pick my favorite, but I think it has to be this one....

239185287-M.jpg

I love the light on her hair and the slight highlights no nicely bringing out contours of her face. Very well done!
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Very nice indeed! I still don't do any post-processing yet so I would love to hear about what you did on some of these.
    edited January 4, 2008
    So very beautiful

and excellent photographs......bet it's hard to take a bad shot of her anyway. Nice nice work Jeff. I really like your processing too.

http://daveswartzphotography.com

Thanks Swartzy. She is very photogenic. No idea where she got that from....but yes it is like learning portrait photography with training wheels on!!
    :D
    2 last ones are just gorgeous!! Beautiful work Jeff!!bowdown.gif

The second and third posted are definite improvements over the similar images in the other thread. The light is much more even in the 3rd and it is just gorgeous.

I love love love the serious shots. The third being my absolute favorite. I love the cross processing, maybe a tad heavy, but I still like it!!! Fantastic shots, you are producing a good variety of looks here.

I appreciate it Lynne, I agree about the light on the third one, but liked the other pose better. I could have used a reflector to block that spotty light, but alas it was a block away in the truck! I agree on the overly heaviness of the cross processing on the last one. I like the CP look, but again....this isn't quite the recipe......yet!!!
    Thanks for looking!
    The first set is nice but the serious ones are super!! bowdown.gif very keen on the first serious one.

It fits her very well and your processing really helped bring it all together!

two thumbs up! thumb.gifthumb

I am glad you like that shot. The dappled sunlight is a deal killer for me. I guess the only reason I kept it was because I did like the way her face was lit.
    Thanks for commenting!

edited January 4, 2008
    Jeff - these are some absolutely fabulous images of a very lovely young lady!! clap.gif It's hard to pick my favorite, but I think it has to be this one....

I love the light on her hair and the slight highlights no nicely bringing out contours of her face. Very well done!

Thanks for the comments Scott. I spent some time burning on the fence to get the highlights under control. It appears that a couple of the supports could still use more. I use more than one method depending on the photo, but I converted this one with the LAB method. It is a good choice for her skin and hair color. It gives nice smooth delicate tones, and is by far my favorite method if the shot is right for it. THe shadows aren't hard, but I wasn't using a gel and for whatever reason the color version looked a bit flashy to me. Hence monotone!!
    edited January 4, 2008
    Very nice indeed! I still don't do any post-processing yet so I would love to hear about what you did on some of these.

Well I could tell you, but then I would have to......:gun2

Actually, I just explained to Scott in the previous post what I did for the BW serious shot. Do a search for LAB Method Tutorial in google and see what you get.

I converted the RAW files in Lightroom, but did extra processing on some of these in photoshopCS3. If you have a particular question about a particular photo I would be glad to give you more info!!

What software do you use?
  • Twisted ImageTwisted Image Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Yep, I'm loving the last two in the second set, Jeff! I think the processing is great, and so are the serious expressions. Her eyes really pop in these! Very nice shots and conversions! clap.gif

By the way...does your other gorgeous daughter not enjoy having her pictures taken? Or will we be treated to more photos of her next year when this one goes off to college?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited January 4, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    By the way...does your other gorgeous daughter not enjoy having her pictures taken? Or will we be treated to more photos of her next year when this one goes off to college?

She would rather NOT have her picture taken.......maybe she will get less timid about that eventually. My son is graduating college after nezt semester and said he wants graduation photos....so maybe I will finally get some of him without hands covering his face!!!
    edited January 5, 2008
    great shots...thumb.gif

Thanks for the kind comment!!