PSElements 6 - Locking problem

BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
edited January 2, 2008 in Finishing School
Hi All... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year....

I am having a small problem with PSE6. I have been using the product for several weeks now and then out of the blue - anytime I upload photos from either the Nikon or the Canon - the layer is locked upon opening it in the PSE6 editor. This also applies to photos taken before the upgrade to 6.0.

I have tried various standard "fixes", duplicating the layer, making sure it is RGB, renaming the layer, etc. Some of the above methods did release the lock, however, the end result is I still cannot edit the photos execept for simlple things like cropping and color adjustments. Tools such as the healing brush, clone stamp, blurring, and dodging and burning tools have no effect on the photo other than showing up in the history bin.

I am at a total loss for the next step. This one has left me dead in the water. :scratch

Bruce
http://www.BELphotos.com

"Never leave home without a camera"

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    I don't know about elements. But the "background" or bottom layer in all Photoshop images are locked.

Try double clicking on the locked layer then hitting OK to the dialog box that pops up.

The main reason for the background layer being locked is to stop you from making egregious destructive editing to your "main" pixels.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I don't know about elements. But the "background" or bottom layer in all Photoshop images are locked.

Try double clicking on the locked layer then hitting OK to the dialog box that pops up.

The main reason for the background layer being locked is to stop you from making egregious destructive editing to your "main" pixels.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    -Jon

Thanks Jon... The new layer is made without the lock - however edits are still prohibited.

• BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Problem Fixed - Solution
    BELphotos wrote:
    Thanks Jon... The new layer is made without the lock - however edits are still prohibited.
    Okay... First hit self in head with rubber mallet several times to clear the cob webs. Then select tool from menu on left - in this case the Healing Brush.

Right click anywhere on your image and deselect pen pressure in the size box in the options. I have turned it to off. Now I am able to edit the image using either the mouse or the pen.

Don't ask me why this works, it just does. How I happened upon this must be a direct result of the rubber mallet. Thanks to all who reviewed this post. :ivar