Waters of Honduras

BikePiletteBikePilette Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited January 3, 2008 in People
I took this picture of my sister and her boyfriend in Honduras while we were there recently. The scenery just begged to be photographed and so did they. Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2976_1mod.jpg

Thanks for looking!
~Nicole

Currently using a Canon Digital Rebel XT
18-55mm kit lens
50mm f/1.8 lens

Comments

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Good exposure and nice color in the shot. My suggestions would be a less centered subject, the photo taken from a lower position and some sky in the background to add some depth to the photo.

Thanks for posting this............
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • BikePiletteBikePilette Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Another shot
    Bauerman, thanks for the suggestions. This is a different picture taken at the same place. Do you like this one better?

IMG_2975mod.jpg

I think I like the people filling up most of the frame, and the background looks almost fake to me (without any adjustments or editing).
    ~Nicole

18-55mm kit lens
    50mm f/1.8 lens
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    i normally don't like the subject dead center, but it seemed to work for me in the first one. I think I like the second one better. I am a big fan of levels--pulling the sliders on either side in to where the information starts. usually, as in this case, it also creats a need to pull down the saturation a bit.

239071687-X3.jpg
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    I absolutely think that the second shot is better overall for the viewer........there is a foreground, a 'middle' and a background that pulls the viewer in and gives them some perspective as to what they are looking at. It has better overall composition as well with the people a bit more off center for sure.

The addition of the ship in the background adds an interesting element as well. Both are good photos - but the second one is better in many ways to my eye. Thanks for posting both.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • BikePiletteBikePilette Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    ~Nicole

18-55mm kit lens
    50mm f/1.8 lens
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    As a portrait photographer, I like the first photo for the non-distracting background, but agree that It could use a different crop Maybe cropping right around where that shadow starts....and probably losing a little of the shadow. Nice shot!!

The composition itself in the second is a little better, but I do have a couple of sugesstions. First, the horizon seems just a tad tilted and ought to be perfectly straight since this is obviously NOT a tilted type of photograph. Second, removing the buoys wouldn't be an aweful thing to do.

Lastly, in the second photo, a tad more planning could have set this shot up to follow the rule of thirds. The subjects on a third(from right), the shipwreck on a third(from left), the horizon on a third(from top) and maybye even that color shift just beyond where beach and water meet at on third (from bottom). Would have been fun to try and achieve at any rate.

Oh, almost forgot.......
    I would personally like to be the stand in model for any retakes!!!! Looks very relaxing!

Thanks for sharing.