Napa in October

wolfejmwolfejm Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited January 5, 2008 in Landscapes
Hi All,

I finally got a break and had time to process my shots from a long weekend in Napa last October. The weather didn't cooperate much, but the real point was the awesome break my wife and I got. I'd love to know what you think of these shots. I'm constantly working on my composition and post processing.

The images are also accessible here.

Thanks & Cheers,
Jeff

1)
238444627-M.jpg

2)
238443215-M.jpg

3)
238440390-M.jpg

4)
238437899-M.jpg
- Jeff
http://jeffwolfe.smugmug.com
Canon 7D / EF 24-105L F4 / Tokina 12-24 F4

Comments

• wolfejmwolfejm Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    bump... anyone have some feedback? Thanks!
    - Jeff
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    hi wolfjem!

Like your photos mwink.gif

now for some C&C from a n00b. i would say some of the photos are maybe a bit on the light side. For the composition; maybe try to go for the extremes. Your photos do not have a pronounced viewpoint. the close up of the tree is not really close up, pretty much centered and not really in any environment. i would choose between tree in its environment or focus on the grapes as a close up.

hope this helps, good luck!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Glad you and your wife had a nice weekend in Napa, it really is a beautiful place.

I really like #2. As for C&C I think I would like to see some people moving or sitting on a bench (which I don't see one) as is it is kind of static and centered. Maybe moving a few feet to the right or left and getting a slightly different angle would help.

On the first one I would like to see it a little tighter so that the grapes are the focus of the pic.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    wolfejm

AAAAHHHHHHH, vinyards. These shots remind me of my youth working at the family vinyard. Napa is one of the areas I want to spend some time. Nice shots.

Mikko
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Boy that second shot is great.
  • Michael AtkinsMichael Atkins Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Wolfejm
    Nice shots. I'm glad you got to visit Napa. When I lived in California it was a favorite place of mine to visit. Did you get a chance to go to the V. Sattui vineyard? A favorite of my wife and mine, which we highly recommend if your ever back in the area.

I like the 2nd shot especially. As for some C&C from someone by no means an expert. I think the 3rd photo is a little too sharp for my liking but I think the concept is in the right direction. Maybe softening it up a bit would help. The leaves just seem a little too distracting for the rest of the image.

mike
  • wolfejmwolfejm Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Thanks everyone for the comments! It helps a ton to hear what people think.

Michael - We didn't make it inside V. Sattui this trip. The place is packed most of the time!

I'm really torn on wether or not #3 is overprocessed. I don't think I'm going to hang it myself, but I have friends who love it for what they call a "painting like" quality who do want to hang it. I guess if someone likes it, it can't be too bad. :ivar

Personally, I really like #4, but I don't get as many comments from people about that one. I enjoy the mist coming down the mountain and the couple paths that there are to follow into different portions of the scene. Any feedback specifically on that one? headscratch.gif

Thanks again!
    - Jeff