Options

Shots Forum Name Changes

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited January 4, 2008 in Dgrin Forum Support
Am I getting crazy or too doped up? Where did the field and street forum go????

Comments

• Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    photocat wrote:
    Am I getting crazy or too doped up? Where did the field and street forum go????

The name changed, but the place is the same.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    What??? How??? Why???? I guess it was too easy... headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    pyrtek wrote:
    The name changed, but the place is the same.

so what place do I need to look for?????
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    photocat wrote:
    so what place do I need to look for?????

Landscapes (Town and Country), I guess.

As to why, I'm not sure. It wasn't broken, but it got fixed, I guess?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Photocat,

Don't worry - yes things are getting reoriented slightly but stay tuned! Everything has its place. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Photocat,

Don't worry - yes things are getting reoriented slightly but stay tuned! Everything has its place. thumb.gif

Thanks!
    I wonder if it would make sense to add a forum for photo blogs????
    So I can pop my daily entry there? I take that more people do photoblogs on DGrin????
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Explanation of Forum Changes?
    I have looked for something on this ... if i am blind and there is already a discussion thread then please just point me in the right direction ...

I noticed that "Field and Street" forum on dgrin (which included landscape, street photography and photojournalism) has been renamed to just "Landscapes."

a. Am i correct that Street and Photojournalism should now be posted in "Other Cool Shots"?

b. Can anyone discuss the reason for the change? Just curious, especially since i can't seem to find an announcement or discussion of this anywhere.

Many thanks!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    The thinking is that Landscapes are really different from PJ and street photography. And that it was confusing. Also, I would think that PJ would normally be about People, so that's where I would post it. You can also use Other Cool Shots as you wish. But the thinking is that People are People, and no matter how you're shooting them, that's where they'd go.

Please give us feedback on these changes (and anyone else!). We don't always move quickly on them. They take a lot of thought and discussion, not to mention the two most important aspects of these kinds of changes: it's a lot of work behind the scenes, and it's disruptive to change things up too much. So we're conservative about making changes. But we love input! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    photocat wrote:
    Thanks!
    I wonder if it would make sense to add a forum for photo blogs????
    So I can pop my daily entry there? I take that more people do photoblogs on DGrin????
    No, that doesn't make sense. Post your photos in the forum, talk about them here. That's what this community is about. Sure, it's fine to ask people to look at your blog, but the sense of community is here, on Dgrin.
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    thanks David, seems like good clear thinking on y'alls part :)))
    thank you for the explanation/suggestion.

tom
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 3, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

Please give us feedback on these changes (and anyone else!). We don't always move quickly on them. They take a lot of thought and discussion, not to mention the two most important aspects of these kinds of changes: it's a lot of work behind the scenes, and it's disruptive to change things up too much. So we're conservative about making changes. But we love input! :D

I think it is a fine idea to have a dedicated landscape forum, but I think I would like to see a dedicated street forum as well. Some street shots (architecture, graffiti) may have no people at all. Others do have people, but more often than not, they are not likely to belong with formal portraits, wedding shots, or family events. I think it is a separate genre. Just my .02€.

Regards,
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    I figured that one out already Andy... I should have taken my question off already. Sorry if I offended you.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I think it is a fine idea to have a dedicated landscape forum, but I think I would like to see a dedicated street forum as well. Some street shots (architecture, graffiti) may have no people at all. Others do have people, but more often than not, they are not likely to belong with formal portraits, wedding shots, or family events. I think it is a separate genre. Just my .02€.

Regards,

Architecture and graffiti would be Other Cool Shots, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    photocat wrote:
    I figured that one out already Andy... I should have taken my question off already. Sorry if I offended you.
    Hi Catherine, you didn't offend me in the least :) My goodness!

We wouldn't want you to "take your question off" either - the purpose of discussion is to raise issues, and have others chime in. I'd *love* to hear from other Dgrinners about postings, with photos from a blog. And then going to the blog. Vs. posting in Dgrin, and fostering the community and communication here.

ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:

Regards,

I am sharing Rsinmadrid his idea. I would like a separate people/street or PJ forum.
    Landscape for me is just that: landscape. I would not post urban shots in landscape, but I would post them in street/PJ.
    Of course, with my possible peanut brain, I might be totally off... so don't shoot the messenger.
    It would have been nice to know that some changes were going to happen. This morning, I felt utterly stupid because I kept looking for field and street, and did not find it back. All is forgiven as we now know why.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    photocat wrote:
    I am sharing Rsinmadrid his idea. I would like a separate people/street or PJ forum.
    Landscape for me is just that: landscape. I would not post urban shots in landscape, but I would post them in street/PJ.
    Of course, with my possible peanut brain, I might be totally off... so don't shoot the messenger.
    It would have been nice to know that some changes were going to happen. This morning, I felt utterly stupid because I kept looking for field and street, and did not find it back. All is forgiven as we now know why.
    If we get the demand for it we might just do that thumb.gif

Right now, we feel that another forum might not be right, timing-wise. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:

Regards,

Richard,

It was my opinion that architecture and griffiti still count as landscapes, just urban landscapes hence the tagline "Town and Country."
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 3, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Richard,

It was my opinion that architecture and griffiti still count as landscapes, just urban landscapes hence the tagline "Town and Country."

Hi Schmoo,

I didn't notice the tagline...I rarely look at the Dgrin home page. To me, landscape just means country. I'll gladly post my street shots there if that's what the new arrangement is, but it still seems a little weird to me. But, hey, I have to use the "Start" menu to shut down my computer, so I suppose I can get used to anything.

Cheers,
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Curious - where would floral shots go? Other Cool Shots?

Floral images don't quite fit "Landscapes", and the tagline for "Wildlife" reads Birds, Mammals, and Reptiles.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Curious - where would floral shots go? Other Cool Shots?

Floral images don't quite fit "Landscapes", and the tagline for "Wildlife" reads Birds, Mammals, and Reptiles.
    Sure: Other Cool Shots or Macro, depending on the photo. Use your best judgment. You don't get your membership revoked for putting something in the incorrect forum! :D