Options

Is there any way for stars

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited January 5, 2008 in Technique
Today i tried stars all is fine but how to keep shutter opened in bulb mode without touching the camera ? And any special processing required for this stuff ?
Look at what happened to trails as i had to keep button pressed for few minutes any solution axcept Remote ?

And i have seen this greenish color in sky photos what is this ?
239259911-L.jpg
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    You need to get a remote shutter release. There are cheap ones and expensive ones. Canon makes the TC-80N3 ($140) and the RS-80N3 ($45). Many people are happy with the cheaper ones from eBay for $15, though.
    Chris
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    You might want to check out the remote shutter release in this thread. The remote release can lock the shutter opened in bulb so you don't have to hold down the shutter release button.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Canon also make the RC1 infrared remote, works fine.. and reasonably cheap.

As for the green glow, it looks like passing cloud cover reflecting light from ground sources.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 3, 2008
    Awais, if you do not have a remote shutter release cable, you can use the self timer on the camera, set to a 2 sec delay with Mirror Lock Up to minimize shake due the the mirror movement with a normal exposure.

This allows you to trip the shutter gently, and 2 sec later the shutter fires - the mirror rising when you initially release the shutter. On a firm tripod of course.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Read my thread in the accessories section on remote shutter release. I got it for around 5$ and it works like a charm!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    While using a shutter release or timer is great advise. I don't think this is the real issue here.
    Take a look at the star trails. If this blur was from camera shake during the shutter release by hand. You would see a huge blur at the beginning then it would taper off to a smooth trail.

It looks to me like Awais is in a heavily populated area or he's not set up on a stable enough platform and the actual ground/deck/floor beneath isn't providing the support his tripod needs. Just like having to be a certain distance from any major city or town to ensure you don't catch any light spill in your shot. You need to be a certain distance away from cities or highways to ensure the ground beneath you isn't moving. (although this distance is greatly shorter).

I recommend taking your rig farther away from where you were before. Most cities have underground tunnels tha make the ground much less stable than if you were in the mountains (or even hills) somewhere. Pay attention to the ground around you and make sure your tripod legs are secured on the smooth ground. Even setting a tripod up on grass can cause motion that's undetectable by the human eye but will still create unsatisfactory results.

Using the tips about time delay shutter release and ensuring your foundation is rock solid will optimize your chance for success.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    It looks to me like Awais is in a heavily populated area or he's not set up on a stable enough platform and the actual ground/deck/floor beneath isn't providing the support his tripod needs. Just like having to be a certain distance from any major city or town to ensure you don't catch any light spill in your shot. You need to be a certain distance away from cities or highways to ensure the ground beneath you isn't moving. (although this distance is greatly shorter).

Large amounts of dust, dirt, and smoke in the atmosphere may not be visible to the human eye, especially at night. That can cause the image quality to deteriorate rather quickly as well as cause a lot of light reflection from ground -based light sources.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Thanks all looks like i have to find remote.
    The other thing was that my tripod that is already very shaky i streched its whole center column and Pakistan don't have any underground tunnels and houses are made of concrete ground was stable
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery