Grandma

Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited January 8, 2008 in People
Happy New Year to everyone!

My family remains difficult in-front of the camera, grandma always feels compelled to strike a pose (for good or bad), in this case surprisingly appropriate.

Additionally, my mom's house suffers from abysmal lighting, and in the past, I've have not dealt with the aftermath white-balance well. But this year, after much learning here (dgrin) & book reading, I had someone hold a sheet of white paper near their face in the room shown and in PP copied the correct white balance setting to some of the other photos, below is an example of the effort.

C&C would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,
- Deanna

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I am surprised that this was posted nearly 12 hours ago and no one has offered a comment. I would be happy to offer a little critique.....

Composition- Nearly textbook, as it roughly follows the rule of thirds......very nice!!

Exposure-Spot on, and the white balance looks perfect: warm but not overly warm.

Subject- Darling!!! The pose....for better or worse....shows that Grandma still has some little girl left in her yet, and I think it is very appropriate for the setting. Absolutely adorable!!!

Thanks for sharing not only the photo, but your WB technique.
  • Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I am surprised that this was posted nearly 12 hours ago and no one has offered a comment. I would be happy to offer a little critique.....

Composition- Nearly textbook, as it roughly follows the rule of thirds......very nice!!

Exposure-Spot on, and the white balance looks perfect: warm but not overly warm.

Subject- Darling!!! The pose....for better or worse....shows that Grandma still has some little girl left in her yet, and I think it is very appropriate for the setting. Absolutely adorable!!!

Thanks for sharing not only the photo, but your WB technique.

Thanks Jeff for taking the time to comment. I realize the WB technique used is fundamental & basic, but it was one that I did not utilize and am knocked over by result!

As for Grandma, she'll be 90yo in May, and yes, she has plenty of "little girl left in her yet" :D

Thanks again,
    - Deanna
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I think this is adorable! And the light, color and comp look perfect to me. A great catch! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited January 4, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    I think this is adorable! And the light, color and comp look perfect to me. A great catch! clap.gif

Thanks Elaine for your input! It's always greatly appreciated.

Take care,
    - Deanna
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Very nice. I love these casual moments during the holidays. That's what they're all about.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I realize the WB technique used is fundamental & basic, but it was one that I did not utilize and am knocked over by result!
    Fundamental it might be, but it's the only way to do it easily, quickly, and correctly. Taking a shot of any neutral color (white, gray, black) and using that to achieve the "proper" WB makes it so easy.

As for the photo - I love it. Your Grandma is still a little girl and it's great to see that sort of animation in people (I sometimes wish I had the energy for something like that). WB, exposure, composition, and pose are all very well done! clap.gif
  • neastguyneastguy Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    awesome photo... I might crop it more..IMO... I dunno... maybe not
  • ABCapturesABCaptures Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    fabulous photo!! I love having great captures of the older generations for the younger generations to be able to look at. Great shot!
    Hi, I'm Ashley
    *Love every creature*
    Gear: Canon Rebel XTi 18-55mm & 75-300mm

• Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I love it what a cute grandma!!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
    edited January 5, 2008
    Thanks Javier, Ashley, and Stephanie for your encouraging remarks!

Yes, I love catching my family and loved ones in everyday life despite the challenges they present for me... Leave it to your family to both torture you and make you better, all at the same time! rolleyes1.gif

Take care,
    - Deanna
    edited January 5, 2008
    Fundamental it might be, but it's the only way to do it easily, quickly, and correctly. Taking a shot of any neutral color (white, gray, black) and using that to achieve the "proper" WB makes it so easy.

Thanks Scott for reinforcement and encouragement to use this WB technique.

I appreciate your comments.

Take care,
    - Deanna
    edited January 5, 2008
    neastguy wrote:
    awesome photo... I might crop it more..IMO... I dunno... maybe not

I understand your thought of a more crop, I did try a few different ones out before settling on this crop version.

Thanks for commenting.

Take care,
    - Deanna
  • Bruce NovotneyBruce Novotney Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    What a wonderful shot! The expression is priceless.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    What a cute Grandma! Great shot and you nailed the exposure and WB. thumb.gif
    edited January 8, 2008
    Thanks Bruce & Saurora! Your kind comments are much appreciated.

Take care,
    - Deanna