My other idea for LPS19...

PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
edited January 5, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here's another idea I had for this round. (Edit 1/6/08: I changed out my original entry, this was my original idea). I'm Just wondering what your thoughts are on this as a potential replacement. (just looked at this again - man I look goofy)

Mind Power
239465320-L.jpg

Comments

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Paul,

I think this one is much better than your current entry... (not a big fan of tryptich images) love the composition and the intensity of the expression... I believe you have succesfully captured both themes in this shot! Very well done!clap.gif

Winston
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I think this one is much better than your current entry... (not a big fan of tryptich images) love the composition and the intensity of the expression... I believe you have succesfully captured both themes in this shot! Very well done!clap.gif

Thanks for the feedback Winston! One of the reasons that I decided to attempt this more simple composition is because my current triptych entry feels kind of messy to me.
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Paul,

I like this photo a lot, a really amusing/playful take on the theme. Your current entry is also very strong but I share your concern about it being a bit too cluttered/complex.

Also, for whatever reason, I seem tired of exploding water balloons and breaking glasses with bright colored fluids. Seems like there's been a run on such images in a lot of posts/contests around the web of late. The balloon shot really is a perfect fit for this contest and you executed it perfectly, but for me I find this spoon entry to be a lot more original. Keep in mind of course that the judges might not be tired of exploding water ballons just because I've clicked on too many images like it recently.

Well, anyway you're in a good position choosing between two really good images. I like the spoon one better myself - I instantly get it and chuckle whereas I have to stare at the balloon one for a bit to process it all. Oh, and as far as looking goofy goes, I think you nailed the expression and evoke Uri Geller perfectly.

Composition wise the only thing I'd try (though I'm not sure it'd be better, but if it's an easy shot you might try it) would be recomposing slightly. Currently the arrangement is about spot on to the usual rules (spoon in lower right third, eyes in upper left, nice diagonal connecting) but for whatever reason personally my eyes jump from the spoon to the eye back and forth and have trouble taking them both in. As an alternate you might try closing the distance between the spoon and face just a little and putting the eye or nose and the spoon on a perfect horizontal, even go so far as positioning this horizontal almost dead center rather than on a third. In my minds eye I think that could be a stronger composition but I never can tell until I actually try something (perhaps you already did!).

Great shot!

Ken
    edited January 4, 2008
    Hi Ken, Thanks so much for your detailed comments! Since it's just me, my flash and the self-timer it won't be too hard to try a couple different poses - its just trial and error to get a keeper. I'd like to try your suggestion of placing the spoon and my eye on a horizontal. I might even be able to rearrange this one a little as it is a fairly big crop.
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Very original, and you nailed it.thumb.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Unofficial feedback thread - I've found my number 1. SUPERB!
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    very cool
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    thats a winner. thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Love it. Much better!

So did you take the blue pill or the red pill. Inquiring minds want to know....
    headscratch.gif
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I like it. A strong contender.

Sam
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I loved the colors of your balloon shot as soon as I saw it in the entry thread, but this new concept has a stronger story to it. I'd be interested in seeing a slightly different crop as well, but it's very nice as is. Excellent idea well-executed. thumb.gif
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I like both shots a lot. I agree with the majority that this photo captures the theme more directly. I think you are on to a winner. Good luck!
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Creative and well executed! Very nice.
    Chris
    edited January 4, 2008
    Thanks to all of you who took the time to comment - I really appreciate your feedback!

I played around with the crop & rotation a little tonight and came up with the version below which I think works well. It cuts out a little of the black areas in the upper right and lower left and still maintains the dynamic connection between the eye and the spoon.

It was weird, but when I put the eye and the spoon on the same, or nearly the same level, the connection and spoon bending power was diminished. Apparently one's eye needs to be higher than the spoon to generate the immense power fields needed to bend the spoon (just a tip for those of you who might decide to try this at home).

So, is this crop any better compared to the original? (I know its a subtle difference)

239730729-L.jpg

Original:
    239465320-L.jpg
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    What the heck happened to my spoon? :D

clap.gif Very nice clap.gif

Every time my wife and I go out to eat she always gets a fork where the prongs are always crooked and she always bends them into place. I bet she wishes she could do this..........

Joe
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Oh man - subtle but oh so different as well. I am torn,
    certain compositional characteristics of the first incarnation lead me to believe it wields more power than the second version.

plus I like more hand in the frame.
    edited January 5, 2008
    imax wrote:
    What the heck happened to my spoon? :D

clap.gif Very nice clap.gif

Every time my wife and I go out to eat she always gets a fork where the prongs are always crooked and she always bends them into place. I bet she wishes she could do this..........

Joe

Thanks Joe! and thats a funny story...Next time she gets a bent fork have her give the Mind Bending a try - should be entertaining for the other patrons!:D
    edited January 5, 2008
    sherstone wrote:
    Oh man - subtle but oh so different as well. I am torn,
    certain compositional characteristics of the first incarnation lead me to believe it wields more power than the second version.

plus I like more hand in the frame.

Thank you Sean. I think I'm liking the original version a little more than the narrower cropped & rotated revised version - but it's a close call.

Edit: More of the spoon hand or head hand?