Snowman

cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
edited January 4, 2008 in People
Or rather snowblower man!
This is our 7th major snowfall since November, and frankly we are all getting a little tired of moving snow around. Here's my dad cleaning out after the latest dump which left 50 cm more of this beautiful fluffly stuff:rolleyes

Does he look impressed!? I think secretly he's smiling cause he was showing me how to use the snowblower as he's off to Arizona for a week:huh

239531268-L.jpg

Comments

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I think that this is a fine portrait - a lot of character in that face and the light dusting of snow on the hat really adds to it as well.

It would be interesting to see what this shot might have looked like with just a slight amount of fill flash to throw a bit more light on his face.

Thanks for posting this.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Nice capture of expression & weather! I'll really enjoy the light covering of snow on your dad's hat, eyebrows, (even a hint on his nose), and shoulders. Do you happen to have any, in a wide-angle composition as well? Would love to see the snowman and his machine.

Thanks for sharing,
    - Deanna
  • cdonovancdonovan Registered Users Posts: 724 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    This is really helpful! I am just learning about fill flash and looking at this picture I bet it really would have helped a lot, i do tend to like shadows and whatnot, especially in older faces, but It would be interesting to see what this would look like with it....any good tuts that you can direct me to for settings and what not...I have a 430ex attached and am a little lost in that piece of equipment!!

Thanks for the CC...please keep it coming!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    cdonovan wrote:
    This is really helpful! I am just learning about fill flash and looking at this picture I bet it really would have helped a lot, i do tend to like shadows and whatnot, especially in older faces, but It would be interesting to see what this would look like with it....any good tuts that you can direct me to for settings and what not...I have a 430ex attached and am a little lost in that piece of equipment!!

Thanks for the CC...please keep it coming!

I have found some pretty useful info here.....
    http://super.nova.org/DPR/#TOC

You can go a long way by shooting in AV mode, and learning to use the Flash Exposure Compensation dial on that flash. There is more than enough info in the manual to get you started. Many times with fill flash a little dab will do ya, and overdone looks worse than none at all.

I use fill on a good many of my daylight shots, and it definately helps get the subject to "pop".

FWIW, I like the lighting of your subject. He seems to have some strong side/back lighting, but it appears to be a good exposure to me. Nice job.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I really like this! Looks great as a B&W...really shows off the snow. clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography