Candid portraits

javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited January 5, 2008 in People
On Christmas Day we spent some time outdoors, mostly walking around to let the kids burn off energy and I decided to take some portraits of the family. These were done using my Nikon D-40 and an SB-400 flash. The day was very cloudy. I would appreciate your thoughts.

235915312-M.jpg

My son the chocolate monster.

235920928-M.jpg

At a church near our house.

235921365-M.jpg

My dad at the church. He's been fighting cancer and we have so few pics of him that I had to take the opportunity to take this one.

235921220-M.jpg

My brother and his kids. Getting kids to look your way when you don't have a free hand is tough!

235921463-M.jpg

My dad and my neice.

235920115-M.jpg

My kid sitting on the curb watching his remote control car being used by someone else.

235920440-M.jpg

My wife and son. Good except his face is squished. I wish I would have noticed it earlier.

235920320-M.jpg

My sister-in-law.

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    This is a collection of winners! Well done.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    This is a collection of winners! Well done.

15524779-Ti.gif Very nice!!!
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words. The problem I have right now with portraits is my flash. The SB-400 is a wonderful , day-to-day flash but it cannot bounce in vertical mode. I have been wracking my brain trying to find something (or make it) that will bounce the flash up when I am taking vertical shots. There have been lots of threads on bounce cards and a discussion here is off topic, but that's my current challenge. Anyway, thanks for feedback, feel free to add C&C if you see anything.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words. The problem I have right now with portraits is my flash. The SB-400 is a wonderful , day-to-day flash but it cannot bounce in vertical mode. I have been wracking my brain trying to find something (or make it) that will bounce the flash up when I am taking vertical shots. There have been lots of threads on bounce cards and a discussion here is off topic, but that's my current challenge. Anyway, thanks for feedback, feel free to add C&C if you see anything.

That is easy. All you need there is a flash bracket that will either rotate the flash or camera. There are varying opinions on which is best, but they come in pretty much all price ranges and start out at around $50( for a flip type). The bonus is by getting the flash farther from the lens chances of red eye are greatly diminished.
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Very nice shots...that first one is great =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I especially like the second one. Did you have to lay on the ground to get it?
  • Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    2,3,5 are my favorites. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, he appears in good spirits.

6, I think would like a little more room in the direction he's looking.

Thanks for sharing.

Take care,
    - Deanna