new year, new camera...need recommendations

Six BeesSix Bees Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited January 5, 2008 in Cameras
I have a Nikon D70s and I am looking to buy a new main camera for my studio. I primarily do all studio work. I want to buy something now that is going to meet my needs now but also my possible needs in the comming years. Right now, business is new, small and how I want it, but when my fourth child gets to school in a few years I am looking to do this on a more full time basis.

I have it in my head that I want a pro camera.....but why? Is it to have it, will I feel more pro with it? Do I really want the bigger bill???? I am leaning more toward buying say a D300, and a nice lens for portraits (suggestions on a lens please). What do we think? I know that the D300 fits me for now, but will I be wanting an upgrade in four years? But then I think...I will want an upgrade, the company will be better able to afford it, and then the D300 is my back up. I am so back and forth!

I seriously don't know what I should know about all this stuff...so rip me apart as you see fit LMAO. I guess I am looking to be talked out of spending way too much on a pro body Nikon.

So, in the end....what do we think of the Nikon D300, and what lens would you buy for it doing primarily studio portraits? Again I HAVE a D70s and the kit lens 18-70mm and nikkor 70-300mm. I want a lens that is going to be great for portraits and feel like I have no clue of what to buy...that is why I came here....HELP!!!!!
Carrie

Comments

• bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Carrie -

I have the D300 and am absolutely thrilled by it. The issue is - as always - that equipment will get better and the camera makers like to keep doing that. We will always have some envy for the new stuff but you need to make a decision of how will this help me with my business - make it easier - improve workflow - make me more efficient - improve my pictures. (Do you need a D3 - no idea - but if you have been successful with a D70 - probably not. Now - do you want one - entirely different storymwink.gif

From that perspective if you are doing studio work only I do not think you have much to worry about for a few years.....of course I shoot sports and landscapes and have different needs but I hear people here all the time talking about the lens being more important in many cases (Happen to agree) and know many of them recommend the 50mm f1.4 (there is also the 1.8) and some use the 85mm (1.4 or 1.8).

I am sure you will get plenty of advice in the next few hours.....:D

Hopefully this answer made some sense.

Cheers
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Since you do mainly studio shooting with controlled lighting then I'm assuming high ISO performance is not a priority. In that case a good buy for a pro body would be the D2Xs. IMHO, the D2X's IQ is better than the D300 and you should be able to get a used one for under $2000 (around $4200 new). If high ISO performance is a major need I would go with the D3.

The 85mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8, the 50mm 1.4, the 17-55mm 2.8 or 28-70mm 2.8 would do great as portrait lenses.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • eyusufeyusuf Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    why not keep the body and invest on lenses? i imagine the body you're having is sufficient for studio work.

edit: and also invest on lighting equipments.
  • Six BeesSix Bees Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    bkatz wrote:
    Carrie -

I have the D300 and am absolutely thrilled by it. The issue is - as always - that equipment will get better and the camera makers like to keep doing that. We will always have some envy for the new stuff but you need to make a decision of how will this help me with my business - make it easier - improve workflow - make me more efficient - improve my pictures. (Do you need a D3 - no idea - but if you have been successful with a D70 - probably not. Now - do you want one - entirely different storymwink.gif

From that perspective if you are doing studio work only I do not think you have much to worry about for a few years.....of course I shoot sports and landscapes and have different needs but I hear people here all the time talking about the lens being more important in many cases (Happen to agree) and know many of them recommend the 50mm f1.4 (there is also the 1.8) and some use the 85mm (1.4 or 1.8).

I am sure you will get plenty of advice in the next few hours.....:D

Hopefully this answer made some sense.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply....I am trying to figure out my need verses want! I guess truly I want what is going to just surpass my need. When I bought the D70s, I mainly knew I wanted a good DSLR, one that would get me to learn about taking control over the camera, I really didn't know at that time that people would want me to photograph them. The camera has served me well, but I really want to have a back up in the studio...so upgrade and use the D70s as back up. My fear is that I am going to buy the D300 and then realize in a year or two that I should have spent the extra few grand and bought a pro body...but I am thinking for what I am doing now...I probably won't.
    Good to see a reply from someone who owns the body I am looking into. And I really think I am leaning that way and then spend money on a great lens! Thanks!
    Carrie
    edited January 4, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Since you do mainly studio shooting with controlled lighting then I'm assuming high ISO performance is not a priority. In that case a good buy for a pro body would be the D2Xs. IMHO, the D2X's IQ is better than the D300 and you should be able to get a used one for under $2000 (around $4200 new). If high ISO performance is a major need I would go with the D3.

The 85mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8, the 50mm 1.4, the 17-55mm 2.8 or 28-70mm 2.8 would do great as portrait lenses.

Thanks for the reply....good info here! The ISO performance is not my priority, and I have been looking into the D2X....where would be a good place to purchase a used one? I am leary about buying used!

And the lens info, greatly appreciated!
    edited January 4, 2008
    eyusuf wrote:
    why not keep the body and invest on lenses? i imagine the body you're having is sufficient for studio work.

edit: and also invest on lighting equipments.

Your reply has weighed in on maybe not doing a pro body, and just going with the D300, because do I really need the pro camera for what I am doing! I would stick with the body I have, but I am looking to have a back up camera in studio....so do I drop a few on a new body, and a few more on a great portrait lens.....or buy a pro body.....I am thinking the first is probably the better way for me now.

So, now...which lens!
    Thanks for your reply, it is greatly appreciated and has got me thinking!
    Carrie
    edited January 4, 2008
    Six Bees wrote:
    Thanks for the reply....good info here! The ISO performance is not my priority, and I have been looking into the D2X....where would be a good place to purchase a used one? I am leary about buying used!

And the lens info, greatly appreciated!

I would check out the Market Place here and at the Nikon Cafe. If you're not in a hurry I'll be selling my D2X in about a month after my D3 arrives and after I send the D2X in it to Nikon for a pre-sale cleaning and maintenance check-up.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited January 4, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    I would check out the Market Place here and at the Nikon Cafe. If you're not in a hurry I'll be selling my D2X in about a month after my D3 arrives and after I send the D2X in it to Nikon for a pre-sale cleaning and maintenance check-up.
    I am technically NOT in a hurry...but in a hurry because now I have it stuck in my head to buy one! My only thing now, is that I had planned to put it on the business credit card which has 0% financing for a year....so it would give me time to pay off slowly.....I am assuming I can not pay you on a credit card for your D2X. How much are you thinking of selling it for????
    edited January 4, 2008
    Six Bees wrote:
    I am technically NOT in a hurry...but in a hurry because now I have it stuck in my head to buy one! My only thing now, is that I had planned to put it on the business credit card which has 0% financing for a year....so it would give me time to pay off slowly.....I am assuming I can not pay you on a credit card for your D2X. How much are you thinking of selling it for????

If you want to use plastic I'm not your man. :D There are D2Xs out there now you can get and I know B&H had a used D2X for sale last night. I will probably be asking between $1800 and $2000 for it depending on the prices when I get it back from the Nikon service center.
    Harry
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    I am good friends with all the other professional photographers in my community. We go out to lunch together on a regular basis, and we often talk about our gear. They all use 20D's, 30D's, D80's, and D200's. Only one has one of the "Pro" level bodies, and he shoots almost entirely sports photography. He uses a 30D for all his studio work. I use E500's. So, at least here, we all get along very well without the "Pro" bodies, yet we are all pros. I wouldn't burden yourself or your budget with the feeling that you need a pro body. Honestly, you will likely do just fine with the D70s. And I think if you upgrade, there is no need to go above the D300 unless you really have the cash lying around. But, that's just my opinion. I run my studio off 2 E500's, cameras extremely similar to your D70s and get fabulous results.
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Six Bees wrote:
    Again I HAVE a D70s and the kit lens 18-70mm and nikkor 70-300mm. I want a lens that is going to be great for portraits and feel like I have no clue of what to buy...that is why I came here....
    J: Put the notion that you need a new body out of your mind (hey that sounded kinda funny eek7.gif ).

H: The D70s is a very capable camera for your intended use. A new body will not improve your portraits in any meaningful way. Lighting and lenses will.

J: At this point, get yourself an outstanding mid-range zoom (and/or the 50mm and 85mm primes). Spend any extra on lighting (like a B-I-G softbox).

H: Always look at purchases from the point of view of what is Required, not what is Desired.

J&H
    edited January 5, 2008
    I am good friends with all the other professional photographers in my community. We go out to lunch together on a regular basis, and we often talk about our gear. They all use 20D's, 30D's, D80's, and D200's. Only one has one of the "Pro" level bodies, and he shoots almost entirely sports photography. He uses a 30D for all his studio work. I use E500's. So, at least here, we all get along very well without the "Pro" bodies, yet we are all pros. I wouldn't burden yourself or your budget with the feeling that you need a pro body. Honestly, you will likely do just fine with the D70s. And I think if you upgrade, there is no need to go above the D300 unless you really have the cash lying around. But, that's just my opinion. I run my studio off 2 E500's, cameras extremely similar to your D70s and get fabulous results.

thank you so much...just what I needed...to be talked out of the want, and just get what I need!!!!
    edited January 5, 2008
    J: Put the notion that you need a new body out of your mind (hey that sounded kinda funny eek7.gif ).

H: The D70s is a very capable camera for your intended use. A new body will not improve your portraits in any meaningful way. Lighting and lenses will.

J: At this point, get yourself an outstanding mid-range zoom (and/or the 50mm and 85mm primes). Spend any extra on lighting (like a B-I-G softbox).

H: Always look at purchases from the point of view of what is Required, not what is Desired.

J&H

I can't completely get the notion out of my head because I am looking to have a second camera...so I need a body...but I getting your point of it doesn't need to be the pro body.
    I am really thinking of the D300 and a great lens. I recently upgraded my lighting and have a HUGE softbox (my most favorite thing).
    So, I require a new camera, and I desired a pro body, but I don't NEED it!

Thanks for helping me reassure myself of this. What do you consider an outstanding mid-range zoom?
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Six Bees wrote:
    So, I require a new camera, and I desired a pro body, but I don't NEED it!

Thanks for helping me reassure myself of this. What do you consider an outstanding mid-range zoom?

Just get yourself a portrait grip and it will look as good as any pro body.

Which lenses do you currently have?
  • Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Six Bees wrote:
    What do you consider an outstanding mid-range zoom?

J: Harryb is the man...
    Harryb wrote:

H: 28-70 would rock on a crop body indoors.

J&H