I want an Ultra Compact Camera!

jeremy3721jeremy3721 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited January 12, 2008 in Cameras
I've all but decided to swap out my A650 for an ultra compact. I just think the ability to put my camera in my pocket will outway the lost zoom on my 650 since I believe I'll have my camera way more often.
Any recommendations on the best Ultra compact out right now? Here are my considerations in aproximate order:
1- Image Quality
2- Fast (speedy and responsive)
3- Small compact size
4- IS
5- Wide angle photos
5- 3 inch bright display
5- At least 7.0 MP (if not more so I can crop photos)
6- Takes SD Cards

I'm also willing to wait a couple of months if something great is expectecd to come out soon.

Comments

• z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I'm not aware that such P&S even exist !!!

Anyway I'm very interested in buying too mwink.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 4, 2008
    In the Ultra Compact category, searching with the following criteria,

Image stabilization
    LCD: 3.0 " or more
    SD card

... I found (alphabetical order):

Canon PowerShot SD870 IS
    Nikon Coolpix S50
    Nikon Coolpix S50c
    Nikon Coolpix S51
    Nikon Coolpix S51c
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX50
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX55

The Nikon's tend to be less expensive.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    My Canon SD800IS has been a great pocket camera and I've gotten some nice shots with it. I believe it has everything you want except for a 3" screen (It's 2.5")

I got it about a year ago so I'm sure whatever the new model is (870?) will have a 3" screen.

I take the SD800IS almost everywhere I go.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I think you gots a problem
    I don't think you can get a truely pocket sized camera with a 3" display. That being said, check out this little Leica with a 2.5" display, and I think everything else you were looking for.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Well gee
    Guess you can after allrolleyes1.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • jeremy3721jeremy3721 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Thanks for the replies:

I should have clarified that I didn't necessary need every option I listed, those were just the order of importance of what I'm looking for.

I bought my girlfriend a Nikon Coolpix S50 and although I haven't played with it much I'm not impressed with its responsiveness so far. (it was a low light situation though) It has a great 3 inch LCD though. I also don't like the fact that you have to remove the battery pack and place it into a clunky charger. You also don't appear to be able to use a regular mini usb cable as Nikon included their own version which I really don't like (why can't everone just use mini usb since those cables are a dime a dozen now?)

I've never even considered a Leica before, that's quite pricey but the two reviews I read were excellent. I'll have to do more research and see if the price is justified.

I really want a quick camera that fits in my shirt/pants pocket, has a nice screen and takes good photos. Maybe I should hold on to my Canon A650 for another year and see what comes down the pipeline.
    edited January 4, 2008
    jeremy3721 wrote:

I really want a quick camera that fits in my shirt/pants pocket, has a nice screen and takes good photos. Maybe I should hold on to my Canon A650 for another year and see what comes down the pipeline.

For Christmas, I got both my lady and my son a Fuji F40fd. It is very compact and produces great snapshots in available light. I found them to be both responsive and capable.

I had previously purchased a Fuji F30 for myself and I am "very" pleased with it as a very versatile snap camera, capable of professional results with proper lighting and camera setup.

The F40fd uses an external charger, but I view that as an advantage because you can be charging one battery while using the camera.
    ziggy53
    edited January 4, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    For Christmas, I got both my lady and my son a Fuji F40fd.

Ziggy, timely post as I just saw this article 5 min ago on the new fugi ultra compact camera that is being released. http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/fujifilm-rolls-out-finepix-z100fd-compact-camera/#comments

I've actually had my eye on these fuji models - Can you tell me if the lens cover also works as the power on/off button? I always thought they had a neat design.
  • IotaIota Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    I'm a big Canon P&S Fan. I've used the 400, 500, 550, 600, 870, and 950 over the last 5 years between work and personal and love all of them.

I personally upgraded from the 500 to the 950 recently, because I wanted the extra reach rather than wide angle.

At the office, wide angle was more important than the extra reach of the 950 so I bought the 870IS for the office.

The 870IS meets all your requirements and is a great camera.
    The 950IS gives you more mplxs 12Mp (vs 8) and only has a 2.5" display, but the 2.5" is plenty and hasn't been a problem, but it's not as wide as the 870.

Additionally, other than the quality and functionality, the Canon's take a beating. I carry my P&S with me pretty much everywhere. When going 'out' I'll typically just throw the camera in my pocket--as is--without a case to add bulk-- and not once have I had an issue with something breaking or getting scratched--other than minor wear and scratches on the body from not using a case.

-Iota
    edited January 4, 2008
    jeremy3721 wrote:
    ... Can you tell me if the lens cover also works as the power on/off button? I always thought they had a neat design.

I suspect so, but cannot tell for sure.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/z/finepix_z100fd/index.html
    ziggy53
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    From a features and aesthetic perspective, I love the Panasonic FX series.

In a compact, 28mm seems like a huge advantage.

when i finally throw my olympus d600 in a puddle/down the road/other motorcycling incident I'll be getting the FX55 or its replacement.
    edited January 4, 2008
    Well I looked at the Canon cameras again today but just couldn't pass up the features of the Sony DSC-T200

sonyce2.jpg
    8.1 megapixel, 3.5" touchscreen, 5X Optical Zoom, up to 25X Smart Zoom® , Face Detection, Smile Shutter Mode (whatever this means), SteadyShot® Image Stabilization. It also has a wall charger with (NO WIRES) which sort of makes up for having to lug a charger around at all.
    Click here for Product Page

It's charging now and I'll let you all know how it stacks up to my Canon Powershot A650 which I love other than it's size (portability). I got the Sony for $359 at Circuit City with some Amazon Price matching. I think I should be able to get close to that for the A650 if I decide not to return the Sony. I have high hopes because I only loose 1x on my zoom and Sony even sells a wide angle snap-on lens at a reasonable price and a waterproof case for my snorkeling excursions.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Congrats on the camera! I am sure it will work well for you!
    edited January 6, 2008
    Congrats on the camera! I am sure it will work well for you!

Well crap!

I just took the Sony back to Curcuit City (no restocking fee thank goodness). I used it all day and I'm mainly just not happy with the resolution of the 3.5 inch screen. The 2 inch screen on my A650 blows it away which kind of defeats the purpose of having a nice big lcd.

I took quite a few comparison shots as well and while I liked the pictures I got from the Sony T200 I could definately tell there was a slight loss of detail compared to the A650. I could have lived with that if it wasn't combined with the dissapointment of the screen.

I have decided to either stick with the A650 for the majority of the next year or I may try out the Canon SD870. I played with one at Circuit City and liked it a lot. Going to think about it for a while first though.
  • IotaIota Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Get the 870; You won't regret it :)
    jeremy3721 wrote:
    Well crap!

I just took the Sony back to Curcuit City (no restocking fee thank goodness). I used it all day and I'm mainly just not happy with the resolution of the 3.5 inch screen. The 2 inch screen on my A650 blows it away which kind of defeats the purpose of having a nice big lcd.

I took quite a few comparison shots as well and while I liked the pictures I got from the Sony T200 I could definately tell there was a slight loss of detail compared to the A650. I could have lived with that if it wasn't combined with the dissapointment of the screen.

I have decided to either stick with the A650 for the majority of the next year or I may try out the Canon SD870. I played with one at Circuit City and liked it a lot. Going to think about it for a while first though.
    edited January 9, 2008
    Yeah, Looking for someone that does not have a restocking fee so I can send it back if I don't like it.

Can anyone provice a performance comparison between the A650 and the SD870? Is there a wide angle lens option for the SD870?
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    jeremy3721 wrote:
    Can anyone provice a performance comparison between the A650 and the SD870? Is there a wide angle lens option for the SD870?

Here are the specs, side by side, from dpreview.

You'll note that the SD870 has a 28mm wide lens to begin with, whereas the A650 is 35mm. If the A650 adapter is anything like my S5, it is .75, so you'd get down to 28mm.
    edited January 10, 2008
    Well here I go again:

Ordered the SD870 from Amazon for $297 :-) Sweet price and good return policy so I have nothing to loose. I don't like the returning merchandise but I'm REALLY hoping I'll like the canon. If not this is my last try for a while mwink.gif

I'll love having the wide angle lens in a smaller camera (much less not having to also attach and adapter and seperate lens).