Raw Therapee

ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
edited January 8, 2008 in Finishing School
Does anyone has experience with Raw Therapee

I am trying it since the last 3-4 weeks and I am getting consistently better results than Bibble. Colors, definition and overall image quality are better. I almost refuse to believe this, I might not use Bibble right or Raw Therapee rocks! We should promote the developer because I am about to be convinced that its software is surprisingly good. Any thoughts? --JY

Comments

• tsiyatsiya Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    ifocus wrote:

I am trying it since the last 3-4 weeks and I am getting consistently better results than Bibble. Colors, definition and overall image quality are better. I almost refuse to believe this, I might not use Bibble right or Raw Therapee rocks! We should promote the developer because I am about to be convinced that its software is surprisingly good. Any thoughts? --JY

I recently downloaded the program, haven't used it much but it looks good.
    We need some nice weather here so I can really give it a try.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    ifocus wrote:

Raw Therapee does in fact, rock. Bibble also rocks. Different types of images respond better to different Raw converters. In addition, a user's skill also has a HUGE impact on final conversion. I remember a dpreview thread (can't find a linky now, sorry) in which a bunch of users tried to show their favorite raw converter (there were several) was best. And it was-- familiarity & skill played a huge role in final conversion quality. The actual brand of converter ended up being fairly unimportant!

I will say this about Bibble, based on my own experiences. First, it doesn't always handle very fine detail or very fine color gradations as well as some others. Second, it's "out of the box" conversion generally requires more tweaking than a lot of other converters. In addition Bibble has some "user-friendliness" and "undocumented feature" problems that we all hope will be fixed in version 5.

Having said all that, between the program and all it's plugins, Bibble is very full featured and allows for all kinds of adjustments that aren't available in other Raw converters. In addition, the developers are very responsive on the Bibble forum, and I assume in email as well. I've found that I can get my Bibble output to get pretty darn close to that of any other raw converter. The hard part is knowing what I want that final output to look like.

I don't know if any of this helps.
  • ifocusifocus Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    RAW Therapee & Bibble
    I largely agree with your assessment of Bibble. I had, still have great images with it but I was really impressed by the effort to get the same or better with RAW Therapee. The colors look a lot better especially in the highlights. Bibble workflow is not easy! And like you said, conversion without serious tweaking is average, at least for my style of picture.

Thanks for sharing --JY
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    eek7.gif
    Just used it amazing results
    don't know about bible but i think i will be using this one rest of my life
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery