edited January 6, 2008 in Technique
is this fence line a distraction?

what are your thoughts.....?
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    For me, honestly yes (sorry!), probably because I'm so sensitive to it - I'm short and it never fails that every time I'm out shooting I'll wish I was a few inches taller because I can't frame over a fence. I'm starting to think about carrying a step stool around with me. rolleyes1.gifI think the fact that the fence is against a white background is what draws my eye to it.

But I absolutely love the color of the wood that you've captured in the building (I"m a sucker for aged wood), and I can see what caught your eye in this scene. The rich, warm colors are just wonderful.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    thanks, that was really nice of you.
    its a yes for me too, hind sight i will not try to include someing like that...
    i will be by this area again atleast once this year, i will reshoot and hopefully the lighting will be there also...:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    BikePiletteBikePilette Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    I kinda like the fence. It geives me a "there's more than just a building" feel to the photo. Thanks for sharing
    ~Nicole

Currently using a Canon Digital Rebel XT
    18-55mm kit lens
    50mm f/1.8 lens
  • Options
    ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Hmm it kind of bugs me. What if you crop it slightly so less fence is showing?
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    It doesn't bother me so much...it gives the pictures a bit of depth.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    thanks all, i guess its all in the eye......

im just going to keep it and show it in my gallery weather or not its a distraction, the lighting was good...:D

it is what it is:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    I think in the shot as it is, the fence is a discraction. In an ideal world, I'd do two things:

1. Raise the camera a bit to get some separation between the background.
    2. Stop down to get both the fence and background in focus.

A general guidline I try to follow is to never have anything out of focus in front of the subject. I break that rule every once in a while but most times when I do, I regret it.
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    My take is if more of the fence was included, and it was in focus, it would definitely add to the feeling of "rusticity" (with apologies to the English language).

I would agree with LiquidAir's "general guideline" of not having anything in front of the subject OOF.

In this case, you could drop down and shoot "through" the fence and use it as framing, but it's going to take a pretty short focal length and small aperture unless you back up a bit.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    I think the fence would actually be much less of a distraction if it was in focus. After all a log fence is appropriate (almost expected) in this setting. Having said that I have taken two fotos, one a landscape with a similar fence and one a building with a wrought iron fence, both of which I think are distracting so I guess it depends on the main subject

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2008
    this is all hindsight ofcoarse...i should have stopdown a bit....but everytime i do my results do not make the cut. (usually i dont have a tripod w/ me)
    (btw, i did use a vr lens....) i guess im a wreak when im in a hurry, and as you all know this light only lasted a minute.....

i guess my real question comes down to is this :
    is it presentable as good, bad or ugly?
    also, i would not dare enter whipping post for at least another year.:D
    so dont ask:D

thanks again for everyones time! it is greatly appreciated!
    Aaron Nelson