antonjoantonjo Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
edited January 13, 2008 in People
C & C wellcome :)

18_1.preview.jpg

blog-paulinka-preview.jpg

Comments

• CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    It has an interesting surreal look to them, but the second one she is too much Out of focus for me.
  • antonjoantonjo Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    The sharpness can't be the only and the main, factor while looking at the photo, would You agree ? Furthermore I would say, that in this case, OOF makes this picture even more intruguing ?

Regards
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    antonjo wrote:
    The sharpness can't be the only and the main, factor while looking at the photo, would You agree ? Furthermore I would say, that in this case, OOF makes this picture even more intruguing ?

Regards
    15524779-Ti.gif, in general. In this specific case, you focused behind the young lady and some of the plants there are in focus. This draws the eye away from the lady and onto the plants (to camera right). Now then, if those plants had also been OOF or not even in the picture, I think this would have been a very thought provoking image.

You can, of course, apply some blur (of one flavor or another) to achieve this effect - maybe?
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    antonjo wrote:

Regards

I feel when you are doing portraits, you reall do have to get the focus dead-on what you want the focal point to be. 99% of the time, this is the person. Occasionally, you will have an object in the photo you want to focus on, but that doesn't work here. The focus should have been on the girl. If you wanted to not focus on her, I would have focused on a plant in the foreground. Focusing off to the side like that doesn't make sense and looks like an error. Hope that doesn't sound cranky but you did ask for C/C. Laughing.gif

Also, I'd crop that first one in a bit, as I think there's too much extra plant in the front and it distracts me from the girl. Very nice location for shooting, though! I would like to see more!
  • kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Funny how pictures can bring such different reactions. I am no pro, but I really like the 2 pictures and would purchase them if they were me. It actually reminds me of an album cover. I don't think portraits need to be in perfect focus to be intriguing and these are to me.
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    antonjo wrote:

Regards

i personally do not agree with that. . . I think oof makes a picture look like a snapshot and taken by someone who doesn't know how to use their camera.. I do understand the intrigue that goes along with the oof subject.. in this case though, i do think I would prefer to have her in focus.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
    edited January 6, 2008
    Thank You all for Your comments and thoughts ! :)

I will qoute one sentence from another photography forum, regarding those two pictures :
    whatever technical issues might be lacking...don't matter much if the photograph can touch somebody...

Going hard, on technical issuses, pointing them out in each and every photograph, makes You lose something with such a technical apporoach on photography. And it is not really the case of defending those Two specific photographs, but more in general, about how You look at pictures.
    If You can see something convincing in the picture, like natural look, lack of pose, anything that touches You - the rest doesn't matter for me.

Regards
    Anthony
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    i like em!

very nice cold and desolate feel to them, but not creepy thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    I like #1 it is really great and sets up #2 real well. #2 I agree with scott about the plants in the background if they were oof The woman would look almost like she was stepping out of the plants. Great pictures
    Carl
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    antonjo wrote:
    Thank You all for Your comments and thoughts ! :)

I will qoute one sentence from another photography forum, regarding those two pictures :

Going hard, on technical issuses, pointing them out in each and every photograph, makes You lose something with such a technical apporoach on photography. And it is not really the case of defending those Two specific photographs, but more in general, about how You look at pictures.
    If You can see something convincing in the picture, like natural look, lack of pose, anything that touches You - the rest doesn't matter for me.

Regards
    Anthony

I still think that if printed large the OOF would be really noticeable & distracting.
    edited January 6, 2008
    I've printed 40 x 30 cm and looks very nice :) Gave one copy to the Girl You see on the picture, and another one is hanging in my corridor :)

Thanks for posting everyone :)
  • PatwebPatweb Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2008
    nice pictures man !
    I like the idea with the plants .
    thumb.gif
  • j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    I'm confused.
    C & C wellcome

You post that, but then you defend your position on the aspects of the photo? headscratch.gif

Personally, I am with some of the others and think no.1 should be cropped as too much plant is taking focus from the girl.

No.2... I must also agree... that it is a tad bit too much OOF and the IN FOCUS parts take away from the overall feel for the image.

I guess those are nitpicky things and I do like them both in the way the image "feels", maybe with those slight adjustments, then it might "move" me instead.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    I love #1! I think a 10:4 pano would work REALLY well on it and really bring her more into "focus".

#2 looks more like and accident than you did it on purpose. She's *almost* in focus instead of really OOF... I think if there hadn't been any flowers (?) in front of her and she was still out of focus with the flowers in focus behind her, it might have worked better for me. Or even better still, flowers in front in focus and her OOF would have been really neat. But I'm struggling with the point of the photo - my eye doesn't pick anything as a focal point and I personally feel that makes the photo a bit too weak.

But then again, those are my opinions! Laughing.gif! If they move YOU that's the most important thing. (I know many of my photos don't work with others, but they're still MY favorites.)

I like the feel of both shots. Very innocent, but still moody.
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Wow! Fantastic style and composition.

would you mind sharing a little about how you got that effect?

thanks!
  • Scotty_RScotty_R Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    antonjo wrote:

Regards

Sometimes, but not in this case, at least for me. The OOF, of multiple planes, just makes the image confusing. It's the same problem I have with most images where the prominent foreground is out of focus...because it is out of focus my eye's attention is drawn to it and I never get to the primary element of the image, razor sharp or not--sometimes I can't even find it and just dismiss the image entirely. Maybe my appreciation for artistic something just isn't refined enough.
    Scotty