2163068046_c2f7403d3d.jpg
trying to improve always..thanks janis
(2) Canon 20d, (1) canon 30d, 70-200is 2.8, tamron 17-50,canon 50mm 1.4
http://www.photographybywidget.com

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 5, 2008
    The eyes really stand out and are nicely exposed but the face is a tad
    blown out. Maybe adjust the exposure a bit?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • magicpicmagicpic Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    The eyes really stand out and are nicely exposed but the face is a tad
    blown out. Maybe adjust the exposure a bit?
    I did a color pop maybe a little too much thanks
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    magicpic wrote:
    2163068046_c2f7403d3d.jpg
    trying to improve always..thanks janis
    Janice,

Nice shot! Cute. :D

It's a bit flat, and the skin tones are a bit cool.

Here's what I did. If you don't understand something, ask! thumb.gif

1) new layer, apply image (green channel background)
    2) change blending mode on the new layer to luminosity and lower opacity to 70%.
    3) mask out everything but the face (so that it adds contrast to the face only, leaving rest of image untouched)
    4) curves adjustment layer, lowered blue channel to warm up the image a touch.
    5) curves adjustment layer, lowered brightness overall, then added a mask so that it darkened the background only (so that the boy stands out from the background a bit more).

What I did isn't perfect, but I think it illustrates what you could do with it.

20080105-f87it3fkh65ad3tkqt9ywagw1h.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited January 5, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Janice,

Nice shot! Cute. :D

It's a bit flat, and the skin tones are a bit cool.

Here's what I did. If you don't understand something, ask! thumb.gif

2) change blending mode on the new layer to luminosity and lower opacity to 70
    3) mask out everything but the face (so that it adds contrast to the face only, leaving rest of image untouched)
    5) curves adjustment layer, lowered brightness overall, then added a mask so that it darkened the background only (so that the boy stands out from the background a bit more).

What I did isn't perfect, but I think it illustrates what you could do with it.

20080105-f87it3fkh65ad3tkqt9ywagw1h.jpg240075731-M.jpg

What do you mean by apply image(green channel background)?

2) change blending mode on the new layer to luminosity and lower opacity to 70
    I understand this one

I am going to try it right now to see if I understand it thanks( ok I just tryed and I am lost..do I go up to get the new layer and do I go to background..I never really work on the channels so thing new i will listen out for you thanks janis
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    I find the eyes to be a bit overdone for the rest of the photo. I would tone the pp down a tad. Usually if I am working on eyes, I use a second layer that I sharpen globally. I then apply a mask, and let the original show, painting in the parts I want sharpened with varying tones of grey until it suits me.

I did not find the original to be blown. Bright yes....blown....not to my eyes.
    edited January 5, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I find the eyes to be a bit overdone for the rest of the photo. I would tone the pp down a tad. Usually if I am working on eyes, I use a second layer that I sharpen globally. I then apply a mask, and let the original show, painting in the parts I want sharpened with varying tones of grey until it suits me.

I did not find the original to be blown. Bright yes....blown....not to my eyes.
    thanks I am trying to understand what davidto said.. I did another photo and will send as soon as the smug get the problem solved
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    magicpic wrote:
    thanks I am trying to understand what davidto said..could you help me

I am not entirely familiar with what he told you. I would guess that he is saying delete all but the green channel in the new layer, but....only a guess. He jumped from a new layer to a green channel without listing the clicks in between.

I don't think its blown, and believe you could tone the face down a bit with the midtone slider in levels. I DO think the eyes are a bit unatural looking.
    edited January 5, 2008
    What I did was a simplified version of the portrait technique, here.

1) Make new image by clicking the icon (numbered in the last capture, below) on the layers palette.
    That makes a blank layer. Go to Image>Apply Image... and set your dialog box like this:
    20080106-dm62qbkp9rm6m1esysjd9ex1j4.jpg

The source will be the name of the image you're editing. You're basically selecting the green channel only of the base layer. This has the most contrast in the face, which was particularly flat.

2) You're then going to apply luminosity mode and lower the opacity:

20080106-1miawtu66ww15brhiwdygwr27g.jpg

3) This messes up the rest of the image, but helps the face, so I masked out the rest of the image, applying this layer only to the face:

20080106-ky2maakui3mri4hdk9mpnfwtjn.jpg

4) Make a new curves adjustment layer, select the Blue channel in the curves dialog, and lower the levels on the blue a touch so that the skin tone isn't so cool. Especially in the highlights.

5) I think if you've done the rest, this step should be self-explanatory?

Let me know if you need more help.

I'm sure that others will have other and better ways of processing this image.

20080106-p7f1ktfsd8jnpmdiek9barw18t.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited January 5, 2008
    240104483-M.jpg thanks alot what do you think. can you do this with a raw file or does it have to be a jpeg..janis
  • carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    That looks much better. :D
    Carl
    edited January 5, 2008
    magicpic wrote:
    240104483-M.jpg thanks alot what do you think...janis

I'd love to hear what others think, but I think the face is just a touch dark, I would lighten the highlights a touch.

Do you like it? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus