Format for Entering Keywords

Bob_ABob_A Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
edited January 7, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I'm having problems understanding the correct format to use for entering keywors for galleries and individual images.

1. Galleries

When I add keywords under "Customize Gallery" like the following:

London Paris "Eiffel Tower"

then save, exit and return to "Customize Gallery" what appears is just"

Eiffel Tower

2. Photos

When I use the bulk add such as:

Muttart Conservatory flowers

after doing the preview it shows

"Muttart Conservatory flowers"

indicating to me that it's grouping the three words as one keyword instead of three individual keywords.

Can someone please let me know the proper format for entering keywords in the various locations? Also, since I don't display keywords on my site I'm only using them for search engines to be able to find me, what are the advantages of having keywords in both galleries and photos?

********edit**********

For number 1 above it really looks like keywords can't be entered the same way as for photos
For number 2 it looks like if you add two or more individual words it puts them in quotes, so to get around this you just need to click preview after entering each word.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited January 5, 2008
    Bob_A wrote:
    2. Photos

When I use the bulk add such as:

Muttart Conservatory flowers

after doing the preview it shows

"Muttart Conservatory flowers"

indicating to me that it's grouping the three words as one keyword instead of three individual keywords.
    For number 2 it looks like if you add two or more individual words it puts them in quotes, so to get around this you just need to click preview after entering each word.
    You're right - for bulk adding keywords to photos in a gallery, enter one at a time then click preview to copy that keyword to all photos. Multiple word entries will be correctly quoted.

--- Denise
  • george-1george-1 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    You're right - for bulk adding keywords to photos in a gallery, enter one at a time then click preview to copy that keyword to all photos. Multiple word entries will be correctly quoted.

--- Denise

Another workaround is to bulk add all the keywords, then go back to the bulk tool and bulk delete the quote (") marks.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited January 6, 2008
    george-1 wrote:
    Another workaround is to bulk add all the keywords, then go back to the bulk tool and bulk delete the quote (") marks.
    Ah, but that won't give you the right results if you have any keywords that you intended to be quoted - which I often do.

--- Denise
  • george-1george-1 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Ah, but that won't give you the right results if you have any keywords that you intended to be quoted - which I often do.

--- Denise

True dat.

More than one way to skin a cat, and I'll try your way next time.