Challenge 34 - If at first...

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited March 18, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Still trying... Here is a rather eclectic selection. I think I like the first one best. I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions you might have. This whole challenge has turned out to be quite daunting and I'm feeling pretty discouraged at the moment. :help
Rivets
17520785-M.jpg

High rise
17438330-M.jpg

Red, white and blue
17520788-M.jpg

Stones

17438328-M.jpg

Email

Comments

• rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    I like the first one too, and I'm having the same problems. I think the first one works best.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    I agree...I think the first one is the best. I know what you mean...this is way harder then I thought it would be.
  • Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    hmmm, i disagree i like the third one the best for this challenge. maybe its just my personal preference on minimalism? i will say that i love the highrise shot, being from the midwest we dont have much natural wonders to gaze upon, thats why we have the best buildings and thats where my love of architecture comes from. good shot bro.

charlie
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Thanks very much, guys, for taking the time to comment. The stones especially don't do it for me. A minimal theme doesn't necessarily translate into a minimalist picture, IMHO. Or perhaps more accurately, into an interesting picture. It seems that a combination of straight lines, angles and curves accented by primary colors almost certainly fits, but the photo still needs to draw in the viewer, And then there is the most important question, do I love it? ne_nau.gif Right now I hate everything I have taken for this challenge. This is sooooo frustrating. And I am only talking about theme, never mind the technical challenges of translating a theme into an outstanding photo.:(:

Charlie, I agree about the John Hancock Tower. It is amazingly and endlessly photogenic. Later today, after I have been a good doobee and done my chores (away from the computer), I will post a view that I took yesterday from a different perspective and in different conditions. If you get a chance, let me which of the shots you prefer.

Virginia

Email
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Thanks very much, guys, for taking the time to comment. The stones especially don't do it for me. A minimal theme doesn't necessarily translate into a minimalist picture, IMHO. Or perhaps more accurately, into an interesting picture. It seems that a combination of straight lines, angles and curves accented by primary colors almost certainly fits, but the photo still needs to draw in the viewer, And then there is the most important question, do I love it? ne_nau.gif Right now I hate everything I have taken for this challenge. This is sooooo frustrating. And I am only talking about theme, never mind the technical challenges of translating a theme into an outstanding photo.:(:

Charlie, I agree about the John Hancock Tower. It is amazingly and endlessly photogenic. Later today, after I have been a good doobee and done my chores (away from the computer), I will post a view that I took yesterday from a different perspective and in different conditions. If you get a chance, let me which of the shots you prefer.

Virginia
    the first one for me.. it just "fits" feels right.. I really like it.thumb.gif
    edited March 15, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    the first one for me.. it just "fits" feels right.. I really like it.thumb.gif
    Thanks, Lynn. Your pom poms really cheered me up! :):

Email
    edited March 15, 2005
    OK. Another capture of the high rise. Anybody like this one as much as or better than the others as a possible entry in Challenge 34?

High Rise in Two Dimensions
    17579499-M.jpg

Email
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    I think the first building shot was more interesting
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:

Red, white and blue
    17520788-M.jpg
    I like this the best. The only thing that bugs me is that the ribbon and the block aren't straight. Otherwise, this is what I think of with minimalism. thumb.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
    edited March 17, 2005
    landrum wrote:
    I like this the best. The only thing that bugs me is that the ribbon and the block aren't straight. Otherwise, this is what I think of with minimalism. thumb.gif
    Thanks for your comments on this photo Lauri. I like the idea but knew when I posted it that if I wanted to pursue it I would have to reshoot to straighten things up and to be sure the ribbon was flat (no big problem) and also do a better job dealing with the shadows etc. (much bigger problem). So I sort of gave up on it. :cry Virginia

Email
    edited March 17, 2005
    Another take on minimalism
    The author of the March 21 New Yorker review of the Arbus exhibit at the MET makes the following observation about her work: "Arbus's fine-grained black-and-white film and minimalist form -- usually a subject centered in a square format -- act with the virtual instantaneity of punchy graphic design." Ummm. Definitely food for thought. eek7.gif Maybe that is why DF's mesmerizing iris, for example, feels right for a minimalist challenge. clap.gif

Email
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    The author of the March 21 New Yorker review of the Arbus exhibit at the MET makes the following observation about her work: "Arbus's fine-grained black-and-white film and minimalist form -- usually a subject centered in a square format -- act with the virtual instantaneity of punchy graphic design." Ummm. Definitely food for thought. eek7.gif Maybe that is why DF's mesmerizing iris, for example, feels right for a minimalist challenge. clap.gif
    Laughing.gif, I guess that was on my subconscious brain....I kept thinking of the large 20 ft. red square on a plain white wall and of course viewing it, that's how it would be framed. kewl

thanks gina!
    edited March 17, 2005
    I was going to work with one of the ones I already have when I took a look at a picture I took today that I really like. Here it is with a white frame and drop shadow (my first try at that) and without. Any reaction to the photo? ne_nau.gif Should I drop the drop shadow effect, which I kinda like? headscratch.gif Should give up photography forever? No, dont' answer that because I am not likely to take your advice! rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Should I eat Chuck's cookies and forget the challenge? Just joking Chuck! :D

High Rise Illusion
    17699435-M.jpg

Without border

17699436-M.jpg

Thanks for any comments and thouhts you might have.

Virginia

Email
  • digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    :jawdrop

that's what I did when I saw the first one......how creative and well executed! I think it's perfect!!! It's minimal but still interesting!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    Very nice but i wonder if maybe it wouldwork better without the strip of brown building along the right edge, just have the blue windows. Other than that I think the composition is great.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D