MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
edited February 8, 2008 in Landscapes
Oak Tree and Moon, San Joaquin Valley Foothills, California

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Mikko wrote:
    Oak Tree and Moon, San Joaquin Valley Foothills, California

Nice composition with a lovely moon. Your BW treatment also works well to accentuate the winter qualities of this image. thumb.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    This is very interesting looking tree well photographed
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • King of CanadaKing of Canada Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    This is very interesting looking tree well photographed

I'd love to see it in color.
    Canon 40D
    Canon 70-200mm F4L
    Sigma 30mm 1.4
    Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Interesting. Depending on what time of year you took it, I'd like to see it in color also. If it's in the rainy season everything would be nice and green, if not, everything will be green and beige :D

I love these old trees.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    B E A utiful treethumb.gif and the moon, very nice. However, I want to see some mood, maybe darker or try this
  • MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Sorry for not responding sooner. Thanks for all your comments. The photo was taken toward the end of fall in the lower Sierra Foothills near Yosemite National Park. What is kind of crazy is that Andy posted a photo of an oak tree snag and a full moon on highway 41 about a year or two ago, which is about 300 yards away from this tree down a side road. Atleast I think? Marc, I went on ahead and re-worked it and added some contrast in the tree. However, for the sky not much I could do with the valley smog. I also revisited it recently and tried it again. Well here they are.

Thanks Mikko
    edited February 4, 2008
    Here is the other one.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Oooohhhh.... I love this one too!
    Mikko wrote:
    Here is the other one.

Love the detail in the clouds.
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    The second one gets my vote. The sky working with the tree really is great.

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    Good shot, I too like the second one better thumb.gif

Also I think I know that tree :)
  • Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    This shot has a real "classic" feel to it. I prefer the simplicity of the first shot. Nicely done.
    It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    I like your second shot. Both are good, just prefer the 2nd better.
    edited February 4, 2008
    Mikko wrote:
    Here is the other one.

Great variationwings.gif The 2nd one looks to be taken during the winter with thinner branches, which allows the sky to poke through. Still would like to see everything darker but the trunk and branches of the tree. Have you more images of this tree from the same pov at different times of the year?
    edited February 4, 2008
    Great variationwings.gif The 2nd one looks to be taken during the winter with thinner branches, which allows the sky to poke through. Still would like to see everything darker but the trunk and branches of the tree. Have you more images of this tree from the same pov at different times of the year?

Marc,

What I'm thinking is a nice clear day after a storm passes thru. This should clean the smog out of the air. Then use a polarizer to darken the sky and help the tree pop?? As for any other shots from other times of the year, not yet. Have you ventured yet into the Sierra Foothills??

Mikko
    edited February 4, 2008
    Thanks everyone for taking a look and for you feed back. Hopefully I get some more from this area soon. Here is one more Oak Tree. Let me know what you think.
  • 300m300m Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    MIkko, I like it. I think you did a nice job. As to the technical I leave that to the others with more experance. My gut feeling says clap.gif
    edited February 7, 2008
    300m wrote:
    MIkko, I like it. I think you did a nice job. As to the technical I leave that to the others with more experance. My gut feeling says clap.gif

Thanks again for looking. I took this photo back in the fall and just reworked it and trying to get a little feed back. I'm glad you like it.

Thanks MIK
    edited February 7, 2008
    Oh yah, if there are any photographers from the Fresno, CA area that know of any great spots up in the hills, please share thanks.

MIK
    edited February 8, 2008
    Mikko wrote:
    Marc,

What I'm thinking is a nice clear day after a storm passes thru. This should clean the smog out of the air. Then use a polarizer to darken the sky and help the tree pop?? As for any other shots from other times of the year, not yet. Have you ventured yet into the Sierra Foothills??

Mikko

I have dabbled around a bit but never have found that great moment. I really enjoy all the amazing trees like the one you have photographed here. There should be some greeeeeen foothills this year come March, enjoy.