A few from DC

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited January 8, 2008 in Landscapes
We moved to DC in July and, today, I was kid-free so I had a chance to take some photos. Took these with my new Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS lens on the 350D. Opened them in LR first and wasn't thrilled with the lighting. Decided to open the raw files in Photomatix Pro instead. Really happy with the way these turned out. Not bad for a $170 lens. Will be trying for some sunrise shots tomorrow....
E

Great Hall at the National Building Museum
240022404-L.jpg

Union Station
240021225-L.jpg

Union Station
240020611-L.jpg

Supreme Court
240024647-L.jpg

Supreme Court
240021821-L.jpg

Comments

• LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    What time did you end up shooting the National Building Museum? And how did you find the light? :D

I really like how that first shot turned out. thumb.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    I have NEVER seen Union Station with so few people in it. It looks like a completely different place! :D

Great shots and great soft light thumb.gif
  • BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Cool stuff! Great pics!

My (former) company had our holiday party in the Building Museum, then a couple months ago i went to a dinner in union station and with a lotta luck I'll be inside that last building in a couple more yearsmwink.gif
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Kerry-
    I got to the great hall at 11am with mostly cloudy skies outside. Sun must have popped out because I caught it shining in on the shot above. No great rays beaming through which would have been really nice. Not sure if the light would be over powering if there weren't the clouds out to diffuse it a bit.

Schmoo-
    Thanks for the kind words. My wife and I were commenting today that all of DC seems particularly empty. Union Station was indeed quiet. I was actually hoping for a few people to cross the field for a sense of place and scale. The Supreme Court was also empty and I had no trouble getting a shot without people there. The soft light is mostly from using Photomatix. I'm able to get much nicer results from that program for my landscapes with wide dynamic ranges than from using lightroom.

E
  • David L. MegaheyDavid L. Megahey Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    After those shots I don't need to take a trip to DC.

Great shots, the clarity is some thing else. Thanksbowdown.gif
    :scratch When in doubt....SHOOT IT!!!