Take a two week trip out west, or buy a D300?

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited January 14, 2008 in Cameras
Right now I have a D50 with a Nikon 18-200mm VR lens that I use about 95% of the time. I will soon get a D300, battery grip, etc.

In either April or October (great foliage in Yosemite valley) I would like take a photo expidition out west. Start in Vegas and stay for a day or two. Drive up to Death Valley National Park for two or three days, and then spend 4 or 5 days in Yosemite Park area (with a brief stop in Bodie, CA).

Whenever I take this vacation I will rent a Nikon 10.5mm Fish eye; Nikon 12-24mm Wide angle, and the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VR Lens.

The trip price for all the fun'ness is about a litle bit more than the D300 camera and all the trimmings. Given that I have a D50 that isn't cutting it anymore, thinking I do need a new camera for a trip like this?

Would you hold off on the D300 purchase and use the $$ to go on this trip and use the D50 instead?
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    net1994 wrote:
    Right now I have a D50 with a Nikon 18-200mm VR lens that I use about 95% of the time. I will soon get a D300, battery grip, etc.

Do you have to choose: trip or camera? I would say go for the trip, as you do have good lenses. Together with the rented lenses, you have a good assortment. If you DO have to choose I would go for the trip. If you can have both, well, that one is easy...rolleyes1.gif
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    How about getting a D80 with a battery grip and going on a slightly shorter trip?
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Why not rent the d300 also and still go on the trip. That way you get to test out the new camera and when you get home you have something to start saving for again.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited January 5, 2008
    If you delay the trip until October would you be able to earn enough additional income to make up the difference?

The Nikon D50 is actually a very nice camera and an awful lot can be accomplished with it. If you feel that you've truly outgrown it, especially considering the improvements of the D300, then get the camera now and use the new camera to help earn its keep through additional income. Set some additional goals and see if you can achieve them.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    I'd go on the trip, really high quality pics of your living room would be a drag, ever so slightly lower quality pics of really cool stuff would be a whole lot more funwings.gif
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    BikePilot wrote:
    I'd go on the trip, really high quality pics of your living room would be a drag, ever so slightly lower quality pics of really cool stuff would be a whole lot more funwings.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Wes CowleyWes Cowley Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Take the trip
    net1994 wrote:

In either April or October (great foliage in Yosemite valley) I would like take a photo expidition out west. Start in Vegas and stay for a day or two. Drive up to Death Valley National Park for two or three days, and then spend 4 or 5 days in Yosemite Park area (with a brief stop in Bodie, CA).

Take the trip. The 300 wilol be there when you get back. I carried a d50 through Israel in 2006 and got some great stuff. Renting the 300 is not a bad idea. I just go a 300 a couple of weeks ago, and it is worth getting or waiting for.

Wes
  • ban25ban25 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Take the trip. If you really feel you need a better camera, then just rent one for that occasion, but the D50 should be fine.

I think the post about taking pictures of your living room sums it up best.
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Take the trip
    I have bought a D300 still have my D50 which is a great little camera have had it 2years. The D300 is fantastic. I also bought new lenses for the D300, Sigma 17-70 f2.8 and 170-500 f5. What was really amazing was the better quality glass really made a difference on the quality of the shots from the D50.
    I had been preiviously using the stock lens it came with Nikkor DX 18-55 and a lower end 70-300 Sigma.
    I would take the trip use the D50 and then get the D300 for the next trip.
    I want to do that same trip, I already live in CA so it is a bit shorter for me. I have never been to Death Valley, itis on the list. Last time I was at Bodie all I had was a Canon A70 3.2mp point and shoot. It is a great place.
    Happy Trails
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Definitely take the trip!
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Agreed, take the trip. I have many excellent photos from a trip using my first digital P&S--much better than it had a right to. Now i just want to go again with the better gear--but I still have the memories & smaller files from the first trip to look back upon. thumb.gif
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    You have to be there to get the shot.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Trip!
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    I think I will take the trip and forgo the camera... (will probably have to wait until Jan 09 to get one...). To make it a bit more affordable, I will perhaps spend one less day @ Yosemite and the same @ DVNP. I can rent a D300 body, but for two weeks it will cost $275 and then the other two lenses push it to $450 YIKES!! I don't know if there is a online place where I can rent a D80 body??

Last question. Has anyone ever been to Yosemite or Death Valley NP? I'm trying to find a balance of huge waterfalls/spring bloom in Yosemite (late April -early May?) and NOT getting fried to death at DVNP. Ninety degrees daytime or below @ DVNP is the threshold.

This this time frame possible to visit both places?
    Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,341 moderator
    edited January 13, 2008
    net1994 wrote:
    Last question. Has anyone ever been to Yosemite or Death Valley NP? I'm trying to find a balance of huge waterfalls/spring bloom in Yosemite (late April -early May?) and NOT getting fried to death at DVNP. Ninety degrees daytime or below @ DVNP is the threshold.

This this time frame possible to visit both places?
    I spent 5 days in Death Valley at the end of October, and I could easily have spent more time there. Average temps look ok there in April, starting to edge up in May (with a daily high of 99) , but the record high in both months is high. Annual temperature grid is available on the Death Valley National Park Service site at www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/Weather%20and%20Climate.pdf. I have no idea if my experience there can provide any information for you, but just in case my journal is at http://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/denise2007deathvalley.

--- Denise
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2008
    Notice a theme here?

Take the trip. Make the memories. The D300 will be there when you come back.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2008
    I am not a Nikon shooter but...
    I would keep my present camera and get a second body.

I have not sold or traded in my Canon DSLR cameras as I upgraded. I use a minimum of two cameras (each with a different lens) and sometimes three cameras on any shoot.

It may be a bit more weight to carry but, it really makes shooting fun. Not having to switch lenses is sensible and prevents any problems associated with lens switching in the field such as dust on the sensor and dropping the lens.

Two bodies also allow you to choose lenses that have top-notch imagery since you are freed from needing to select a lens with a extreme wide zoom range.

By the way, you mentioned a 12-24mm Nikon wide angle. You might look at the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX which is a great lens. I use one on my Canon DSLR cameras and I love it. I looked on B&H and found that the Tokina was slightly more than 50% of the Nikon equivalent cost. I don't know just how good the OEM Nikon lens is, but my Tokina is fabulous.