1st Show (4 img)

CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
edited January 9, 2008 in People
This is the first show I've ever attempted to photograph...
I kept getting a) a lot of grain b) hot spots c) wayyy too underexposed
What on earth is the trick to getting decent photographs in a dark atmosphere, when the subjects are moving around quite a bit?!?! Here are a few examples of what I thought were the best of the bunch... The bunch being a set of nearly 600 photographs :dunno .. errrggg.. Luckily the band members are friends of mine, so I made sure ahead of time not to expect anything marvelous because I've never shot in such a setting before... Anyway enough yammering here's some pics:

1)
2171314718_4632ed46a8.jpg

2) Something still! although all the similar shots had blown out spots from the lights...:scratch
2171314706_8884953239.jpg

3)
2171314710_c0b9862d7a.jpg

4)
2171346396_4f426bb129.jpg

I've just got to say I'm not sure "shows" are my thing now that I've attempted to do one.. Partially 'cause I was the only one there wearing girly clothing and not spikes lol Anyway they're doing another show I'm supposed to come to on the eleventh, so if anyone has got any tips rock on!
"Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
-Marilyn Monroe

Comments

• bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    I think that you did quite well to be honest. I love number 2 and number 3. What lens, aperture and ISO settings were you using? What shutter speeds were you getting?
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 7, 2008
    Fast glass and hi ISO :D

Though I think you did well.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    bauerman wrote:
    I think that you did quite well to be honest. I love number 2 and number 3. What lens, aperture and ISO settings were you using? What shutter speeds were you getting?

Why thanks for the compliments first off-
    All the photos were taken with a Nikkor 18-70mm lens.. on a D70 nothing real fancy lol

I was flipping settings like crazy trying to get a decent photo so for each picture I've posted the settings:

1) The aperture was f5; ISO 1600; and shutter speed was 1\100th

2) aperture: f3.8 ; ISO: 1600 ; Shutter: 1\13th

3) aperture: f5.6 ; ISO: 1600 ; Shutter: 1\125th

4) aperture: f4 ; ISO: 1600 ; Shutter: 1\60th
    -Marilyn Monroe
    edited January 8, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Fast glass and hi ISO :D

Though I think you did well.

Ian

Thanks =)
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • bauermanbauerman Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Getting into some faster glass would certainly help with this kind of shooting - that is for sure. But purchasing high quality lenses in the f2.8 range are a pretty penny as well. I think that you did a good job squeezing out every bit of performance out of the equipment that you had on hand.
    Perhaps the greatest social service that can be rendered by anybody to this country and to mankind is to bring up a family. - George Bernard Shaw
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 8, 2008
    pics I'd be proud of-

very nice-
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Why thanks for the compliments first off-
    All the photos were taken with a Nikkor 18-70mm lens.. on a D70 nothing real fancy lol

I was flipping settings like crazy trying to get a decent photo so for each picture I've posted the settings:

1) The aperture was f5; ISO 1600; and shutter speed was 1\100th

2) aperture: f3.8 ; ISO: 1600 ; Shutter: 1\13th

3) aperture: f5.6 ; ISO: 1600 ; Shutter: 1\125th

4) aperture: f4 ; ISO: 1600 ; Shutter: 1\60th

You should purchase the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 prime lens - it's only around $100 new, and although it's made of plastic, it can do a much better job in these situations. If you use aperture priority and spot metering, it can give you a faster shutter speed which should help freeze the moving subjects.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

Everything associated with low light shooting costs money, but the 50mm 1.8 is a lot of bang for the buck. So is noise reduction software like Noise Ninja. Combine the two, and for a total of less than 200 USD (don't know how that xlates to Loonies any more) you could really improve your technical results. You've already got the art part down. Nice work.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Why not just get a external flash and a omnibounce..You can freeze allmost everything and still keep that nice looking light with some practise. Will cost less money and i will say the result often look nicer then high iso boost and a 2.8 apparture.

Allthough you got some very nice images here. So keep your head high!
    edited January 9, 2008
    Thanks for all the tips on equipment that would be beneficial to have..
    I would go out and purchase this, but the camera I'm using is actually one of my cameras for work.. aka it's a company camera.. SO if it was mine I'd definately be investing in some decent lens'\lights,etc.. For future reference when I get my own decent camera it's excellent information =) thanks again~!
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2008
    Love photo number 2. Worthy of framin and hangin.
    edited January 9, 2008
    Thanks again for all the wonderful comments, I was really nervous about this "shoot". . Hopefully I'll be able to come up with some similar results on friday for this band again!
    -Marilyn Monroe