Late Christmas!!!

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited January 7, 2008 in People
We had a late gathering for Christmas yesterday. I captured this one of my youngest daughter holding my youngest nephew.

I am including a BW and color version.

Thoughts? Comments?

Color
240312522-L.jpg

BW
240312556-L.jpg

Comments

• XanderturesXandertures Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    I am a huge fan of clear, color shots.. but you absolutely nailed the B&W conversion as well. Composition is fantastic and you couldn't have got them both in focus any better. VERY nice job!
    Nikon D750 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G | SB-700 & 2 SB-600's - Powered by SmugMug!
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    you are blessed - who cares about the image!
    But for what its worth - both excellent!!
    Thanx for sharing !!

troy
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    I love color, but that conversion iloveyou.gifthumb.gif
    What is that, window light hitting her hair on her right?
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    I love color, but that conversion iloveyou.gifthumb.gif
    What is that, window light hitting her hair on her right?

Yes. The whole shot is lit by windows. She was obviously facing one with another over and behind her right shoulder(camera left).

The "lucky" part was the nearly matching color of her shirt and his blanket.

CameraCanon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
    Exposure Time0.01s (1/100)
    Aperturef/5.0
    ISO800
    Focal Length35mm (guess: 59mm in 35mm)
    Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS

I thought it looked pretty good for ISO 800!!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    The B&W - no question in my mind. And who says ISO 800 is a problem? When properly exposed, 800 is a very nice, as this photo proves.
    edited January 6, 2008
    The B&W - no question in my mind. And who says ISO 800 is a problem? When properly exposed, 800 is a very nice, as this photo proves.

The color was tough, and had nothing much to do with WB. They are both lit by the same temp of light, but his little face was very red. I know this is common in infants, but there was nothing I could do short of trying to select his noggin and work on it seperate. Global changes to reduce red had adverse effects on the rest of the image.

I agree ISO 800 is no problemo. Many feel that every image MUST be captured at ISO 100 at all costs. I admit I try to stay in the 100-200 range, but am not shy about upping the ISO to stay within comfortable shutter speeds. I am still getting to know the lens, and probably could have gotten away easily holding at ISO400 at 1/50......but.......had the two of my subjects moved....???

Thanks for the comments as always Scott.
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    I love the b/w version! Maybe get rid of that dead space above her head?
  • Bruce NovotneyBruce Novotney Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Nice,I really love the b+w!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Oh, that is so pretty. The light is wonderful, and the colors and subjects are just right. A fabulous catch! Your conversion is super, but there is something about the greens/blues of her eyes and their shirts that I also find very appealing. Either way, it's a keeper!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited January 6, 2008
    I am a huge fan of clear, color shots.. but you absolutely nailed the B&W conversion as well. Composition is fantastic and you couldn't have got them both in focus any better. VERY nice job!

Thanks for the comments!!!

you are blessed - who cares about the image!
    But for what its worth - both excellent!!
    Thanx for sharing !!

troy

I appreciate that. We are all Blessed!!
    I love the b/w version! Maybe get rid of that dead space above her head?

I usually leave crop alone until I order prints. Some of that would have to go for a 5x7 or 8x10 for sure. Thanks for looking!!
    Nice,I really love the b+w!

I will usually choose monotones over color 90% of the time, but I am hooked with the interesting colors on the other version. Thank you for not only looking, but commenting as well.
    edited January 6, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Oh, that is so pretty. The light is wonderful, and the colors and subjects are just right.

Well thank you Elaine!!
    A fabulous catch! Your conversion is super, but there is something about the greens/blues of her eyes and their shirts that I also find very appealing. Either way, it's a keeper

I agree. I think it is the coolness of the clothing in contrast to the overall warmth in the skin tones.

Thanks as always for your valued opinion!!
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I usually leave crop alone until I order prints. Some of that would have to go for a 5x7 or 8x10 for sure. Thanks for looking!!

Good plan! It's such a great shot I'm sure you'll be printing some 8x10's. Looks like a studio posed shot almost with that background!
    edited January 6, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Good plan! It's such a great shot I'm sure you'll be printing some 8x10's. Looks like a studio posed shot almost with that background!

Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif

Don't say that.......makes me think of the senior photos with the fakey bookcase in the studio!!! yikes!!!

I know you meant well..... Thanks!!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 7, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I am including a BW and color version.

Thoughts? Comments?

I strongly prefer the B&W, though obviously you had a great shot to start with. I just don't care for the color of her blouse. Good work.thumb.gif

Cheers,
    edited January 7, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I strongly prefer the B&W, though obviously you had a great shot to start with. I just don't care for the color of her blouse. Good work.thumb.gif

Cheers,

Thanks for the comment! Looking at it now, I wish I hadn't hung the vignette on the BW version.....but I am still happy with it. AS far as the blouse......I would not have suggested that for a portrait sitting.....but was happy that the two of them were wearing roughly the same tones for this grab at a Christmas party.