Displaying IPTC Data

pjppjp Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited January 6, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Friends,

I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm missing something, or Smugmug just doesn't do what I'm looking for.

My workflow involves importing files into Aperture, adding keywords for people's names and other info, inserting copyright notices, adding Sub-location, City, State, and Country (all of the above into IPTC fields), rating, captioning, color-correcting and other image processing, and then exporting them up to SmugMug.

On Smugmug, I can see the captions and keywords, and the EXIF info generated by the camera when the shot is taken. But I can't see copyright notices, City, State, etc. When I download the image from Smugmug, all of the info is still there. This is true of my images, as well as other people's images I see on Smugmug.

This brings me to my question -- is Smugmug just not arranged to display and search these other IPTC fields, or am I missing where that info is displayed?

Cheers

PJP

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    pjp wrote:
    Friends,

I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm missing something, or Smugmug just doesn't do what I'm looking for.

My workflow involves importing files into Aperture, adding keywords for people's names and other info, inserting copyright notices, adding Sub-location, City, State, and Country (all of the above into IPTC fields), rating, captioning, color-correcting and other image processing, and then exporting them up to SmugMug.

On Smugmug, I can see the captions and keywords, and the EXIF info generated by the camera when the shot is taken. But I can't see copyright notices, City, State, etc. When I download the image from Smugmug, all of the info is still there. This is true of my images, as well as other people's images I see on Smugmug.

This brings me to my question -- is Smugmug just not arranged to display and search these other IPTC fields, or am I missing where that info is displayed?

Cheers

PJP

A few thoughts to add:
    1. Smugmug preserves your original as uploaded (including all metadata), so it's always there on the original.
    2. As you've observed, Smugmug's "Info" window doesn't display many of the metadata fields that you mention. It isn't currently designed to display all metadata, just certain common fields. It would be nice for them to include some of the other fields you mention.
    3. On image sizes smaller than the original, the EXIF data is stripped so it's not even there (if someone were to download those from your site).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    pjp wrote:

Cheers

PJP
    Correct, we don't display that info now.
  • pjppjp Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    A few thoughts to add:
    1. Smugmug preserves your original as uploaded (including all metadata), so it's always there on the original.
    2. As you've observed, Smugmug's "Info" window doesn't display many of the metadata fields that you mention. It isn't currently designed to display all metadata, just certain common fields. It would be nice for them to include some of the other fields you mention.
    3. On image sizes smaller than the original, the EXIF data is stripped so it's not even there (if someone were to download those from your site).
    Thanks for confirming that. I agree it would be nice to be able to see all of the metadata -- it's already there!
  • pjppjp Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Correct, we don't display that info now.
    Thanks for confirming that, Andy. I added that to the feature request thread.