An Aspiring Singer (C&C Welcome)

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited January 8, 2008 in People
This shoot has been in the works since before Thanksgiving. Finally, the planents aligned and we were able to actually get it on the books for New Year's Day. This young lady (you get to guess her age) is an aspiring singer with more than her fair share of talent and buckets of potential. Mom & Dad came to me with some idea of what they wanted. These are a small sample of what I came up with.

1. Mom & Dad are going to want this is color so they will have that. I did a B&W conversion 'cause I like B&W.
240404271-L.jpg

2. They wanted this as a duo-tone, so I worked to the the right color. I'm hoping they like it...
240446774-L.jpg

3. Her hair on camera left - a little crazy, but she has baby fine hair, did not want to behave, and she did not want to "gook it up". So, there you go...
240474230-L.jpg

FWIW - these were all taken with Canon 30D, EF 24-105 f/4L, and a handful of AB800 with PocketWizards.

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Nice shots Scott, and she's a beautiful child. I especially like #3. I would guess her age at 11 or 12, but it's hard to tell ... kids are so grown up anymore she could be 8 to 10!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Very well done. They are all 3 fabulous, but my pick is #2. I like the composition, the light, the shadows, and the treatment.
  • ~Jan~~Jan~ Registered Users Posts: 966 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    Wow, with eyes like that, how could she ever want b/w? Stunning!! I like the last best.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Love #2 Scott. Looks most like an album cover to me. Well done!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited January 7, 2008
    These are terrific, Scott. Each one has a different feeling. I don't know what problems you might have had with the hair in #3, but the result is excellent. Very well done. clap.gifclap.

Cheers,
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Wow! Another vote for #2. It has to be one of the most artistic portraits I've ever seen of yours! Very moody and I love the posing and the treatment. There is nothing wrong with the other two this one is just heads and shoulders above. Glad this shoot finally came together for you! clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Wow! Another vote for #2. It has to be one of the most artistic portraits I've ever seen of yours! Very moody and I love the posing and the treatment. There is nothing wrong with the other two this one is just heads and shoulders above. Glad this shoot finally came together for you! clap.gif
    Me too. It was a lot of fun and caused me to stretch a lot to get the desired results. Still more photos to process - I'll be picking that up tomorrow as I have an interview with a bride tonight! clap.gif (wish me luck).
    edited January 7, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Love #2 Scott. Looks most like an album cover to me. Well done!
    This is almost exactly what the client had to say about this one... I'm really liking it (the photo, though the praise is nice too - thanks).
    edited January 7, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    These are terrific, Scott. Each one has a different feeling. I don't know what problems you might have had with the hair in #3, but the result is excellent. Very well done. clap.gifclap.

Cheers,
    In the best of all worlds, there would not have been an apparent part in her hair. Oh well.

Thanks for looking and commenting. Means a lot!
    edited January 7, 2008
    ~Jan~ wrote:
    Wow, with eyes like that, how could she ever want b/w? Stunning!! I like the last best.
    I have a confession to make - By request of the client, the eyes were boosted just a little bit but not too much as she really does have beautiful blue eyes. SWMBO commented that it would be interesting to see what she looks like in about 5 - 7 years, after she's had a chance to finish growing - will her eyes still appear so wonderfully large and blue? Time will tell.
    edited January 7, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Nice shots Scott, and she's a beautiful child. I especially like #3. I would guess her age at 11 or 12, but it's hard to tell ... kids are so grown up anymore she could be 8 to 10!!! rolleyes1.gif
    Since you are the only person who opted to take a stab at her age, you win the 1,000 Drew Carey points which, of course, are worth nothing (see his show, "Who's Line Is It, Anyway?" for more on that). She's 12 years old. I had a challenge keeping her looking age appropriate, given what her parents were looking for. I think I just barely managed that.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Hi Scott.

Given all your constructive comments in 2007, I wanted to try giving some suggestions to your photos this time too.

1st of all, I think they're all beautiful.

#1: If anything, I would darken a bit her hair (on the top), I think by doing that you would focus more on her beautiful face.
    #2: looks a bit harsh to me (even though I like the pose). Her hair is a bit fuzzy looking, I would most likely try to change that + she has something on her left cheek. I guess almost nobody has perfect skin, but to take away from the harshness I would take away this little pimpel, I'm sure she would be thankful for that too mwink.gif
    #3: as perfect as it can be.
  • VicksterVickster Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Lovely . . .
    Scott,
    lovely portraits especially number 2. What I like about them the most is how age appropriate they are. It's very disappointing to see young kids, especially girls, made up or posed to look much older. It detracts from who they truly are and mis-represents them to the world. You did a great job capturing her in a more natural and relaxed form. It's refreshing to see!
    Vicki
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 8, 2008
    I Like the first. I do like the lighting on all of them. Very nice.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?