Options

CS3 vs. CS3 extended

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited January 11, 2008 in Finishing School
can anyone help me justify getting cs3 extended?

what is in this extended can of worms?

i only want to upgrade to cs3 from cs2 for the things ive read about in the stiching for panos, and better likeable bridge..

so i guess what im really after is there better stitching results between extended or cs3 regular?
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited January 7, 2008

what is in this extended can of worms?

i only want to upgrade to cs3 from cs2 for the things ive read about in the stiching for panos, and better likeable bridge..

so i guess what im really after is there better stitching results between extended or cs3 regular?

I think extended adds 3D modeling and animation. You don't need it for stitching panos or for the Bridge update.

Regards,
  • Options
    dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    One thing I have just learned about is CS3 Extended's support for HDR imaging (and so HDR panoramas). I described what I know so far in the thread

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=80030
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    dandill wrote:
    One thing I have just learned about is CS3 Extended's support for HDR imaging (and so HDR panoramas). I described what I know so far in the thread

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=80030

I'd agree. IF you do HDR or Pano's, that alone is worth the difference in price. If not, then Standard is fine.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2008
    thanks all, i will take all of that and ponderthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Bridge and Stock Photos in CS3
    Hi All,

I bought Master Collection CS3 Extended (my first photoshop purchase) and I was wondering what the deal is with Bridge and Stock Photo app response times being so slow to the point it renders it useless when it takes 2 to 5 minutes to return search resultsl for Stock Photos and several seconds to do anything in Bridge. It's not my hardware (Core 2 Extreme x6800, 4GB DDR2 PC1100 RAM, GeForce 7950GX2 1GB Video, Gigabyte 965-DQ6 liquid cooled mobo) or my net connection (FIOS 20MB/5MB). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    When you run web based queries like this. It doesn't matter if you have a banshee or a pos laptop. Your talking about server side response times and bandwidth.

But why would you use Adobe stock photos?
    I do allot of freelance design work and I've found that most of the time I can use (or create) my own stock images (and give myself credit :D) or I go to another major stock photo vendor when I don't have the means to create. I've found Adobes database to be a bit stale and overrated. Let Adobe do what they are good at and leave the stock images to the stock image pros IMO.

-Jon
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    When you run web based queries like this. It doesn't matter if you have a banshee or a pos laptop. Your talking about server side response times and bandwidth.

But why would you use Adobe stock photos?
    I do allot of freelance design work and I've found that most of the time I can use (or create) my own stock images (and give myself credit :D) or I go to another major stock photo vendor when I don't have the means to create. I've found Adobes database to be a bit stale and overrated. Let Adobe do what they are good at and leave the stock images to the stock image pros IMO.

-Jon

Laughing.gif - Jon..I'm a technologist....I try almost everything once! lol. Yes I was actually aware that it was the server side response times but I was looking to see if anyone actually uses it successfully and if so in what config. There are a ton of royalty free pics out there to choose from but I would't be holding true to form if I just by passed it and didn't try...lol besides gotta get every ounce of value out of the $2,600 Master Collection suite.

-Randy
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    No offense intended mate. Just answering the question.
    gotta get every ounce of value out of the $2,600 Master Collection suite.
    Ouch! I thought the 1600 for Web premium I got was bad. The only thing I miss is InDesign. But I use Illy more than INDD anyway.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    No offense intended mate. Just answering the question. Ouch! I thought the 1600 for Web premium I got was bad. The only thing I miss is InDesign. But I use Illy more than INDD anyway.

Cheers,
    -Jon

No worries my friend....none taken...2 1/2D comms are tough to read intent behind sometimes. Yeah the price is steep but fortunately my company pics up the cost.

-Randy
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

• Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    :toni k, im taking my thread back!:D

k all, what im not getting in my readings is the basic "head to head" concept of the hdr & stitching capabilities between cs2, cs3 & cs3 extended.
    Specifically with hdr or stitching will I see any differences in ease of use or more importantly quality of the finished work.?

thanks again for the help.

Aaron
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    :toni k, im taking my thread back!:D

k all, what im not getting in my readings is the basic "head to head" concept of the hdr & stitching capabilities between cs2, cs3 & cs3 extended.
    Specifically with hdr or stitching will I see any differences in ease of use or more importantly quality of the finished work.?

thanks again for the help.

Aaron

Great question, Aaron. I was under the apparently mistaken impression that CS3 standard contained the same improvements in HDR and panos as CS3 extended. Guess I didn't read the fine print before ordering. Anyway, I hope someone will clarify the differences.

Regards,
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    rsinmadrid,
    for stitching i came across this thread...
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=23236
    it seemed to help, the people seemed to know about everything but when it comes down to it, i dont think a guy like me will see or notice the improvements....now if i used or did this computer magic stuff everyday then i guess i might....but when i only do PP once a month and dont really have time to experiment much i will just hang back with cs2 for now....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    rsinmadrid,
    for stitching i came across this thread...
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=23236
    it seemed to help, the people seemed to know about everything but when it comes down to it, i dont think a guy like me will see or notice the improvements....now if i used or did this computer magic stuff everyday then i guess i might....but when i only do PP once a month and dont really have time to experiment much i will just hang back with cs2 for now....

Interesting thread, but I didn't see any mention of a distinction between CS3 and CS3 Extended.
  • Options
    dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Interesting thread, but I didn't see any mention of a distinction between CS3 and CS3 Extended.
    I found this at Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/compare/

Differing HDR capability (mentioned in post #3 above) is one of the distinctions. I only have Extended and do not know what HDR tools are not in the regular version.
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2008
    dandill wrote:
    I found this at Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/compare/

Differing HDR capability (mentioned in post #3 above) is one of the distinctions. I only have Extended and do not know what HDR tools are not in the regular version.

I poked around a bit, and here's what I have found so far:

CS3 has a more sophisticated pano stitcher than CS2. I gave it a test drive with some hand-held shots and it did a surprisingly good job. I didn't see anything in the documentation to suggest that the CS3 Extended version is any different.

The merge to HDR function in CS3 appears to be identical to the CS2 version when creating the merged image. There may be changes under the hood, but I could not find any documentation. CS3 lets you apply more adjustments and filters to the 32 bit image than CS2 did. The CS3 Extended version of HDR adds a new 32-bit color picker and lets you draw and paint on the 32-bit image. It may also let you use a greater number of adjustment tools on the 32 bit image than CS3 standard, but I could not find documentation of the differences.

So I suppose that any day now we can expect the great 16 versus 32 bit flame war to begin. rolleyes1.gif.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2008
    thumb.gif

good going, i just received a new book (welcome to Oz) and i kinda got side tracked from this question of mine.
    thank you for doing that testing!....
    i will finally get to do some testing myself tomorrow!!!
    my wife is taking our kids to grandmas house, so that just leaves me and my neglected camera & photog computer by ourselves. :D

i will see what i can do with the time!
    Aaron Nelson