What next?

GergGerg Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 7, 2008 in Finishing School
I'm just learning my new Canon 40D and the software that came with it. I've taken my first RAW images and been playing with Digital Photo Professional seeing what does what. Pretty cool stuff but as I said, I'm just starting so there isn't anything I'm proud enough to show yet.

So far I have the 28-135MM 3.5-5.6 and 10-22MM 3.5-4.5 lenses. The only filters so far are an inexpensive Haze/UV and a Polarizing Filter.

Next lens will be something to fill the gap between the two I have and a bit brighter than the 3.5.

The question is what do you get with some of the other software packages that I don't have with the supplied software? I'm wondering if Photoshop should be next on the list of things to get (besides a book)?

I only shot for fun and I shoot anything :D

Comments on software?

Thanks,
Greg

Comments

• pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Gerg wrote:
    The question is what do you get with some of the other software packages that I don't have with the supplied software? I'm wondering if Photoshop should be next on the list of things to get (besides a book)?

Since you just got all of this equipment and are only starting to learn I would
    say focus on that for now and worry about Photoshop later. It is more important
    that you become familiar with your camera and lenses first. After a while there
    will come a point when you yourself will know best whether you need Photoshop
    or not.

EDIT: I forgot to add that filling the gap between 22 and 28 mm is a waste of money. If I were you
    I'd either get a better lens to replace the 28-135 or get something long to extend your range
    rather than filling irrelevant gaps. Either that or good primes anywhere in the range, which are
    always a good idea.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Gerg wrote:
    I'm just learning my new Canon 40D and the software that came with it. I've taken my first RAW images and been playing with Digital Photo Professional seeing what does what. Pretty cool stuff but as I said, I'm just starting so there isn't anything I'm proud enough to show yet.

So far I have the 28-135MM 3.5-5.6 and 10-22MM 3.5-4.5 lenses. The only filters so far are an inexpensive Haze/UV and a Polarizing Filter.

Next lens will be something to fill the gap between the two I have and a bit brighter than the 3.5.

I only shot for fun and I shoot anything :D

Comments on software?

Thanks,
    Greg

Well, it depends on what you want software for.

I work in an IT department and this is one of my pet peeves: people going out and buying software, then trying to build their processes around that software's functionality, RATHER THAN determining needs, creating a process/workflow, and choosing software that is the best fit for that workflow.

What do you see as your primary needs? Cataloguing? Batch processing? Raw processing and development? Layering/masking/compositing? Per-pixel editing? Creating web galleries?

Once you have identified your needs, (which will probably require you to play with your camera for a while,) you should have a better idea of what software you will want.