New Years Eve in the Smokys

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited April 20, 2008 in Landscapes
The weather was beautiful and the company was even better. Dixie was gracious enough to be my tour guide for the day through Cades Cove and Temont. The morning was misty, frosty, and beautiful. I got to Cades Cove a bit late because my GPS took me to a one way entrance out of the park. Stupid technology. Take a look and let me know what you think.

First shot of the day.
239105329-L.jpg

A few horses grazing before the mist burned off.
239105784-L.jpg

The Little River at Tremont.
239105182-L.jpg
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    :jawdrop

Dixie does a great job showing us how smokey the Smokey Mtns are but I see the ability is catching!

The mist and the colors you caught are unbelievable. You most certainly had a great (and productive) New Year.

:oogle
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Dixie does a great job showing us how smokey the Smokey Mtns are but I see the ability is catching!

The mist and the colors you caught are unbelievable. You most certainly had a great (and productive) New Year.

:oogle
    Thanks Steph. I'm looking forward to returning many more times in the different seasons. I'm happy with what I captured but there is so much more that I saw and missed that I'll be going back for years to come.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 7, 2008
    These are lovely, Nick. I like like the soft light and the composition of all three.

The sky in the first image looks "posterized" a bit, just above the horizon, Nick. Is this present in your final edit of this image, or, more likely, is this an artifact from smuggy's downsizing the image here, or simply an artifact of the image size and my LCD monitors aspect ratio?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    These are lovely, Nick. I like like the soft light and the composition of all three.

The sky in the first image looks "posterized" a bit, just above the horizon, Nick. Is this present in your final edit of this image, or, more likely, is this an artifact from smuggy's downsizing the image here, or simply an artifact of the image size and my LCD monitors aspect ratio?
    Thanks Jim. The gradation in the sky is like that in the RAW file for the first shot. I noticed it while processing and didn't feel like trying to cover it up. It is not as noticable in the original unedited RAW file but once the curves are tweeked it stands out more.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • hejjafishhejjafish Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Nice shots. I think my favorite is grazing horses. However, as pathfinder pointed out, the light is great in all of these.
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Nick,

Outstanding shots. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks for the company and the meal and I really enjoyed meeting your friends as well.

Here are a couple of mine from the trip -- Click Here
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!